Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 13, 2007, 1:09 PM   #1

The inexpensive mirror lenses are not for everybody and requires a bit of experience with them to get the results you might hope for. The Opteka is tiny (4 inches long, 3 in diameter) and light at under a pound. Hooked to my K100D, it is a joy to handle. Since the f-stop is fixed at 8, exposure control is thru the ISO setting and shutter speed. On bright sunny days, a shutter speed of 500 at ISO200 or 400 works fine. Cloudy and overcast is ISO800 and 125 or 180. I use the preview feature of the K100D a lot with the mirror lens. To get desired results, or as best that I can anyway, I must run pictures thru software. I use mostly Corel Paint Shop Pro and some Adobe Elements. I found it to be worth the effort but then I photograph for fun, not profit. And I didn't bring my budget to its knees with this purchase....Grix

http://grix3378.fotopic.net
grix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2007, 3:30 PM   #2

It is still soft, but not as bad as I would have feared, shame I blew my budget for the month on the Sigma APO DG 70-300 Macro as I wouldn't mind picking one up while the light is still good.

Thanks for sharing!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:07 AM   #3

Do you have any shots at ISO 200?

I would also like to see one where you fill the frame more.

I know this lens won't win any award but it could be a fun lens to play with.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:07 PM   #4

Here's an ISO200 ahot taken this morning at the crack of dawn. It's a squirrel feeder and is about 20 meters from the camera. Uncropped. Sent thru Elements for downsizing and Corel for slight brightening. No sharpening or other touches. Shutter speed was 250, I think. It's a bright beautiful day so I'll be out n around...I'll bring back some more shots. ...Grix
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:28 PM   #5

I would be more than happy with that last shot for the price it cost you, nice and sharp, and no weird distorsions.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:46 PM   #6

Well, I got out and around but not for long. It was 90 degrees and muggy. But I got a couple shots. The heat played havoc with the cell-phone tower picture. Its about a 50% crop and has had brightening and sharpening done to it. It is about 3 miles distant. The second picture is of some flowers. Occasionally I get all artsy and can't help myself. It really looks purty on an 8X10 print in a frame. The third is of a crow about 1000 meters distantin a big tree. I saw him fly into the tree but couldn't really see him so I took a shot and brought him out in software. It is about a 50% crop also. Anyway, just some fun shots on a hot day...Grix
Old Aug 15, 2007, 5:03 AM   #7

I have wondered about those myself especially since they have dropped from typical $150 to $75

Absolutely not a low light lens... but interesting examples, plus it very compact and low weight.....

VS the Optecta (still fixed f/8 ) opticals, a mile long and heavy weights.

though it would seem from your examples, its best focus in on the near end... INF not all that great, unfortunately where I'd most need it :roll:.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:35 AM   #8

Really like the 2nd one - very chocolate box!

I had a Centon 500mm f8 Mirror Lens and experienced much the same hits and misses you have.

In the end, the thinDoF and critical focussing got to me and Iput it back on eBay for more than I paid for it.

Funny how things we always wanted years ago turn out to be such a waste when you finally get them.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:21 AM   #9

You are so right, Darren ...Grix