Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 14, 2007, 4:11 PM   #1

Anyone know where I can pick up one of these in Pentax K-mount (AF or MF)?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2007, 4:34 PM   #2

I bought mine from B&H, but it looks like no one is listing them at the moment. I think I read somewhere (and I have no idea where, sorry) that Phoenix had discontinued the AF version. Mine is AF and its not worth the extra cost (the mechanism seems the weak point of the lens - rather poorly made). Or keep an eye on KEH for used ones, though I'm not sure this would be a good buy as a used lens (the exterior of mine islooking pretty beat up at this point, the AF mechanism sounds raspyand I've only had it a year).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:00 PM   #3

this is pretty good

http://cgi.ebay.com/TAMRON-SP-90mm-f...QQcmdZViewItem
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:02 PM   #4

Out of curiosity - they mentioned in the ad something about "KA" - does that mean Adaptall lenses can have auto exposure capabilities? If so, this one would be a better buy than a Phoenix.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:47 AM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Out of curiosity - they mentioned in the ad something about "KA" - does that mean Adaptall lenses can have auto exposure capabilities? If so, this one would be a better buy than a Phoenix.
No KA means "A" Lens mount.... full AE but no AF.... ie MF. (But K10D Pentax will still give you AF confirm indication... just not physically focus... you have to be the motor, and if you leave it in AF mode will not let you shoot until it thinks its focused... often called focus trap)

K mount after that was KAF (autofocus)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:59 AM   #6

I don't know if Hayward actually readthe post, or just likes to see his words on the screen.

Hayward, re-read the post... she didn't ask anything about AF
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:31 AM   #7

robar wrote: Looks like a sweet lens.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:17 PM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Hey Harriet,
Yes they can but you have to buy one of the rarer, more expensive, and apparently fragile KA adapters. I have read that Tamron discontinued them because too many were coming back under warranty.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:36 PM   #9

I think I am jsut going to save up for one of the AF Macro lenses, that way it will serve also as a quick (f/2.8ish) telephoto lens as well.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:07 AM   #10

Thanks, Tim, for the information - guess there's not a perfect solution, is there?

The one regret that I had with the Phoenix is that I bought is that I got the FA version. The auto focus mechanism seems flimsy, there's no clutch so you can't fine-tune the focus by hand, it hunts more than any other lens I have, and there's nofocus limiter and it goes almost all the way around the circle to go from minimum focus to infinity. I should have saved the extra money (not all that much as I recall) and bought the manual focus version. You don't use AF for macro stuff and the lens's AF is so suspect that I hate to use it even when I'm using it as a telephoto lens.