Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:59 AM   #11

robar wrote:
Quote:
silversurfer wrote:
Quote:
Note the comments about raw/jpeg. to a past slide/trany user post proccesing was not my scene, the picture was right in the viewfinder or you did not take it!
you're dead wrong and need to wake up to the digital world.. make that statement to ansel adams or even w. eugene smith and either would tell you , get you head on right. i can see you've never had an in house darkroom.

absolutely no offense meant here SS. i call them as i see them. the thing is that i've seen too many make that statement..

cheers,
roy
The beauty of Digital as opposed to Film is the second chance to make it the way you saw it...not over do it but to get the shot you invisioned when shooting. The K10D is not that imposing a camera and if she is used to SLR's then the K10D will feel right in her hands. The Kit lens and a 50-200 for starters is about right...Might get a full blown macro and a fast prime too. They each have their place and usage. She probably already knows them. As for the image looking the way a point and shooter would take them...The K10D can be made to do this with very little effort. Simply upping the saturation and contrast in camera. I shot with a Kodak DX6490 for several years and the change to the K10D has been swift and effortless. Yours should be too.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 4:33 AM   #12

Hi Roy, no offence taken, However I have done my bit in the darkroom, dodging and burning in until the wife and kids banned me from the darkroom, (the bathroom!)my old enlarger is in the loft now! Slides were a way to still try to make creative pictures without too much drain on my limited free time. all the retired guys in the club did the magic on the BW prints. Incidentally the daughter is a great enthusiast for BW.

Of course the opportunity to enhance the photos in colour is a whole new world to be explored. But and a very big but for me, I am double dyslexic when it comes to PC software ! Give me a lathe and a parting off tool and i would start on my old yashica lenses now! I note Dawg's lens mods enviously. Pehaps, having just bought Photoshop elements 4, I will once again try to get my tired head around filters and layers etc !

Thanks Dawg for your positive comments on taking to the K10, I think she can take it all in (in time)! She is coming over this evening so we will carefully consider all the comments here.

To get back to the focus of this thread, lenses are EXPENSIVE, so I recon she will need to study this forum before jumping in. My original thoughts are the 28-55 kit lens andpehaps the sigma 80-300 APO macro which at £160.00 (or £109 from hongkong?) won't break the bank, this,with my monopod,will get her kitted up for her safari.then with some pics under her beltshe canperhaps later dip her toe in the fixed/prime lens pool, ebay beckons.

Currently her pics are mainly from holiday trips plus some photo club competitions, once she estabishes an interest area the appropriate lens range should become clear. More comments are welcome, thanks SS

silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:32 AM   #13

SS,
i think the sigma 70-300apo is a very wise choice. it's an excellent lens for a safari. really inexpensive enough if something should happen to it.. i know it's a lot better lens than the older copy i use to have.. if i could quit buting primes i'd upgrade to the k10, but alas............

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:22 AM   #14

robar wrote:
Quote:
SS,
i think the sigma 70-300apo is a very wise choice. it's an excellent lens for a safari. really inexpensive enough if something should happen to it.. i know it's a lot better lens than the older copy i use to have.. if i could quit buting primes i'd upgrade to the k10, but alas............

roy
Thing is, though Roy, is there any need for you to move up to the K10D?

The lens quality and the person behind the camera is what matters. The latest toys do not make the picture.

I only upgraded because I could at the time. Otherwise, I was perfectly happy with my DL2, and just starting to get quality shots from it.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 1:36 PM   #15

First, lemme say I'm a big fan of the silver surfer

I did not do my own developing from slides but did shoot slides exclusively until I gave up my gear in 2001 (which I still cry over) At that time I got the Oly C2100 to fill the gap.

Like the oly you refer to, the little C2100 is an amazing piece of equipment, even if I couldn't get 10 bucks for it now. But it has it's other limitations, too, namely only going to appx f/8, limited shutter speed, and 2 meg images in jpeg or tiff only. I recently purchased the k100d and the kit lens (along with a 'cheap' pentax 75-300 zoom which is actually quite good if a bit slow) Be that as it is, if I had the extra $$ I would have nabbed the k10d instead.

Going for the smaller camera is a reported better off the card jpeg, but the extra megapixels, continuous (jpeg) shooting, and jpeg+raw format really are worth more than the monetary difference in the two.

Despite your family banishing you from the dark-bath-room, you'll find the process of finishing your RAW captures with the Pentax much less cumbersome. The provided software is very usable and you can apply a set of parameters to s slew of captures, so you effectively only have to make the changes once and let the PC do the rest of the work. I'd hope deally with RAW files would be your last reason to avoid the cameras.

the K10D does take some extra learning to get the most from it, but it's really not that much of a curve and the end results will eventually shame the output of lesser cameras. It's just not a point and shoot consumer friendly beast.

there are tons of photos in the pentax forum taken with the kit 18-55 lens to look at, too.

CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 3:16 PM   #16

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
the K10D does take some extra learning to get the most from it, but it's really not that much of a curve and the end results will eventually shame the output of lesser cameras. It's just not a point and shoot consumer friendly beast.

So true, and So well worded, although the curve depends on the starting point.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 4:46 PM   #17

Thanks guys, you have convinced me, I will try some raw shots on my little oly 7000 and try the oly master prog. it came with. Hopefully I can get up to speed for when daughter gets her camera. Reading through your comments it looks like the K10d with 18-55 is recommended,and buy a sigma 70-300APO wherever we can get the best price. Probably early Sept. I too miss the slides, i learnt a lot about correct exposure doing them as the film is quite critical. I have thousands of them now covering probably 25 years of pics! bought a nikon slide copier/scanner but it is a very sloooow proccess, it event removes dust/scratches from some of my early ones.

She has now read your tips and is now more focused (she is actually an optician!) on what to go for, great forum, how do you post those little thumbnail shots with your title/name? i'd like to try one myself. cheers, SS
silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 4:50 PM   #18

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:

The lens quality and the person behind the camera is what matters. The latest toys do not make the picture.
I only upgraded because I could at the time. Otherwise, I was perfectly happy with my DL2, and just starting to get quality shots from it.
Dal
yes there is. i want the extra megs for one. but the big thing i want is the IS. this kid here isn't the steadiest any more.. oh, i use to shoot slides mostly too..

roy
Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:39 PM   #19
TDN

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:

Dal
Very true Darren, but the K10D offers so much options to make capturing those images easier

The reasons I want to upgrade from my *ist DL:

- Wheather sealing. Together with a DA* sealed f2.8 lens, it's the ideal concert kit. In the frontstage you often get drips of water when it's raining...

- Power zoom and SDM. SDM to focus fast on the street, and power zoom cuz noone else has it :lol:

- SR: can't tell you how many times ive screwed up a perfectly composed image cuz of my shaky hands...

- Vertical grip: 75% of my shots are in portrait position...so I'm craving one of those.

- faster write speed. Taking 3 RAW shots in burst cripples my DL for at least 10 seconds...sometimes I miss shots because of that.

All not things you really "need", but they sure would be handy

reasons I haven't upgraded yet?

- Only had my DL for little over a year

- No money and LBA...

I've decided to go on a 12-step programme though and save up for a new body plus 50-135mm

...or so I've told myself

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:51 PM   #20

TDN wrote:
Quote:
- SR: can't tell you how many times ive screwed up a perfectly composed image cuz of my shaky hands...

Tom
and you're what tom?? 20 ???

give those shaky hands another 30 or 40 years..
roy love your images even with the the shake blurs...