Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 23, 2007, 1:09 AM   #21

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Thing is, though Roy, is there any need for you to move up to the K10D?

The lens quality and the person behind the camera is what matters. The latest toys do not make the picture.

I only upgraded because I could at the time. Otherwise, I was perfectly happy with my DL2, and just starting to get quality shots from it.
Dal
Very true Darren, but the K10D offers so much options to make capturing those images easier

The reasons I want to upgrade from my *ist DL:

- Wheather sealing. Together with a DA* sealed f2.8 lens, it's the ideal concert kit. In the frontstage you often get drips of water when it's raining...

- Power zoom and SDM. SDM to focus fast on the street, and power zoom cuz noone else has it :lol:

- SR: can't tell you how many times ive screwed up a perfectly composed image cuz of my shaky hands...

- Vertical grip: 75% of my shots are in portrait position...so I'm craving one of those.

- faster write speed. Taking 3 RAW shots in burst cripples my DL for at least 10 seconds...sometimes I miss shots because of that.

All not things you really "need", but they sure would be handy

reasons I haven't upgraded yet?

- Only had my DL for little over a year

- No money and LBA...

I've decided to go on a 12-step programme though and save up for a new body plus 50-135mm

...or so I've told myself

Tom
Apart from the concert pics, this is basically what I went through.

DL2 for just under a year, but I really wanted the bells and whistles, so my intended finally agreed after much sighing and brooding (by me) that it would keep me quiet.

Of course she didn't, and still doesn't, understand LBA, so I not quiet..... but happy with my partner and camera.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 3:44 AM   #22
TDN

Quote:
and you're what tom?? 20 ???
lol, yeah

What can I say...computer scientist...I drink way to much coffee

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 7:02 PM   #23

robar wrote:
Quote:
Schnider lenses??? one of the oldest and most respected maker in the world.

roy
I just wanted to clarify this, I know that Roy knows it, just in case someone looks at this thread in the future and is confused. While Schneider is one of the oldest names in lens manufacturers, in this case, the lens is simply a rebadged Pentax lens. I am actually a big fan of the kit lens and after a year of using my K100d I still think it is a great lens for the money. I just wanted to clarify that it is not different or better than the Pentax kit lens.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 7:35 PM   #24

the kit lens??? it continually amazes me.. it's one reason i haven't been so determined to get a better wide.. the 12-24 looks sooo nice tho.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:10 PM   #25

I'm perfectly happy with the kit lens for what I do - I wasn't tempted by the DA*16-50 or the 16-45 f4. Now, the 12-24 is something else again - that would compliment the kit lens very nicely and fit right in my camera bag.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 4:21 AM   #26

As nice as the 12-24 is, I am leaning towards the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8.

The extra speed would be worthwhile I feel, then I go 17-70 and 70-300 for a nice light day out.

Dal

12-24 is tempting though - as is the 10-17mm

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 4:26 AM   #27

Hi Tim, thanks for clarifiying the Schnieder Kusernach lens for the Samsung. As I suspected it is just a badge from an old respected lens maker. Many years ago I was in Kusernach, in Gemany. I'ts on the Rhine and there was no sign of any lens factory!

Camera hunting update, we go next week to probably take the K10d plunge following all you helpful comments, (far, far better than a sackful of salesmen/women pushing commission deals!)

I am currently checking out ebay for a old vivitar series 1 70-210, something I could never afford back in the 70/80s when I had a S/H Tamron 80 210 ;F4.5 adaptall on the front of my Yashica. (In fact I still haveit.... wonder if I can get an 'adaptall mount for the new Pentax K mount?) Anyway seeking Dawg's advice on possibility to mountthe Vivitar withsimple K mount from 1982 onto the K10d, probablyloose lots of functions, but manual focus is no big prob. i'ts all I everhad 20 years ago!
silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 9:11 AM   #28

You have two choices for Adaptall mounts for Pentax, (well actually three if you count the M42 screwmount but I'm not). The KA Adapter has the electronic coupling to allow Av mode and auto exposure. The K adapter has no electronic coupling and works just like an M series lens. The KA adapters generally run quite a bit more and seem to be both fragile and a little finicky.

I don't believe any of the adapters are in new production (I know the KA has been discontinued) but both come up on ebay pretty regularly.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:07 AM   #29

Up date on progress to buy the DSLR/lens package. After a lot of reading and a few visits to the shops looks like we go with Dal's advice; the Samsung with the two lens package. £500.00 at argos ( a UK chain of 'box movers' found in most large towns) we also get a further £100.00 cashback from Samsung. And, I managed to pick up a Viv. series 1 (1st model) 80-210 f 3.5 on ebay, so she has a nice old all manual toy to play with when she builds up her muscles!She could always use it as a club if the crowd gets too violent! Hope to post a few pics when she gets going. Must find out how to do that first, however with your tips I got my avatar up ok so watch this space.

Following Roys advice I have started doing raw on my Oly 7000 compact, takes about 10 secs to bufferthe image but have high hopes to see amazing results when iget the hang of the oly master software, watch this space ! SS
silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 8:42 PM   #30

With a series one viv first group...You can fight off a pack of wolves by clubbing them with it then shoot photos of the remains with it!! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote