Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:41 PM   #21

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I sustain mine with the money given to me to buy my lunch. $2.00 per day and save till I have enough to buy...One day I'll be able to get those auto focus limited lens if I keep buying and selling to a profit...LOL It's fun as long as you confine yourself to your budget...
Dawg, once you buy your limited's... are you going to start eating again? This sounds like the start to another problem, eating disorders... lol

Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:54 PM   #22

Jim - one option for the 300mm range - you already have the 50-200, so why not look around for one of the various versions of the *300 lens? They are all incredibly sharp - my A*300 is one of my two favorite lenses. That way you have a superior long tele and won't be repeating the range of the 50-200. I haven't felt a particular need for anything between 200 and 300. They cost more than the 70-300 lenses, but it's well worth it!

tsquare - I started out with the DS (delighted its still going strong, Ira), and now have both the K100 and K10. Having had cameras with and without IS (Pentax calls it SR), I'll always opt for the SR enabled camera. The K110 doesn't have it, and if you are considering it, I think I'd look around for someone who might be trying to dump old inventory of some DS2 cameras for significantly less. Otherwise, go for the K100 or the K100 Super. The main difference between the Super and the K100 is the Super supports the SDM motors on the new DA* lenses. Those lenses will work with the K100 using it's in-camera focusing motor, just like any other lens. My thinking is that the money you'd save on the K100 as stores try to get rid of their inventory would be the way to go, even if you decide to buy a DA* lens fairly soon.

Lots of people go straight from a more advanced p&s camera to the K10 and as long as you plan on reading the owners manual and really playing with it so you understand what everything does, there's nothing to say it would be a problem. I personally find the K10 a "fussy" camera and sometimes struggle with it (it's easy to get a setting off because it has more controls on the body, and I sometimes find its extra weight difficult with long, heavy lenses). The K100 is more "fool-proof" and is better in low light. They both take outstanding pictures using the P mode (which lets the camera make decisions, with you having over-ride options), and I have no intention of giving up either one of them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 9:16 AM   #23

a200user wrote:
Quote:
Ira,

I'm looking for a zoom with more reach than my DA 50-200mm. You mention having the FA 100-300mm 4.7-5.8. That's one I've considered when it comes up on eBay now and then. I've read that for many of the moderately priced 70-300 or 100-300 zooms that they are soft in the 200 to 300mm range and that the DA 50-200mm is a better lens. Like you, I suspect that I would be using the longer reach lens exclusively at 300mm since my 50-200mm is very good in it's own range.Do you considerthe FA100-300tohave asofter focusat 300mm than it is in the 100mm to200mm range?

And if there are opinions out there on these others at 300mm?

Pentax FA J 75-300, Pentax 80-320mm, Sigma 70-300 APO or non-APO, Tamron 70-300mm Di or non-Di.

Jim
For less than $100 this lens is quite sharp at 300mm, here are some samples (all shot at 300mm):

Here is one showing some CA, only a problem at extreme contrast:

Here is an example of a bird in flight (motion blur alert):

Here is a cropped close up:

And finally, 300mm, hand held, minimum focus distance, through a window, this is the full colour image.

Final word, the construction quality is only fair and it has a pathetic plastic mount (you get what you pay for), but optically it is more than adequate (better on digital than it was on film due to the crop factor). One of my favourite lenses, and I basically use it as a 300mm. Harriet is correct, if you can get a * 300mm prime that fits your budget it will be a better lens, faster, sharper and better built.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:18 AM   #24

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I sustain mine with the money given to me to buy my lunch. $2.00 per day and save till I have enough to buy...One day I'll be able to get those auto focus limited lens if I keep buying and selling to a profit...LOL It's fun as long as you confine yourself to your budget...
Dawg, once you buy your limited's... are you going to start eating again? This sounds like the start to another problem, eating disorders... lol

Nick
I eat Inn but not at work. Since my heart attacks and the medicine the doctors have me on..I have had to cut back on the calories a lot...Ballooned up to 315 lbs for a while there...Back down to my fighting weight of 270 now and would like to get back to 230 where I was before all this happened but I don't know if that will ever be.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:49 AM   #25

Thanks to everyone for the information on the K100/110/10. I appreciate it.

It'sfunny that after learning the meaning of LBA yesterday, as I sat down to eat lunch today, I happened to pick up my June copy of PCPhoto magazine, and on the back cover was a Pentax ad with the first line being: "If you're afflicated with lens-buying addiction (LBA), stop read reading right now. Seriously." Then it talked about the various lenes available, and ended with...."But to those with LBA: just take a deep breath and walk away." This cracked me up.:-)

I believe now that I will purchase the K100D Super and use the $300 - $400 difference between the K100 and the K10 to buy a good flash and another lens. I understand the K100 is better in low light, and because I will be taking a lot of inside pics of my grandson, this might be the best way for me to go. I will be the only one using the camera. My lovely wife will never, ever use this camera as she is strictly P&S, and it usually turns out that she does the "pointing" and I do the "shooting". I bought her a Konica-Minolta DiMage 5(?) and it is a nice little camera. She shoots strictly via the lcd (even though it has an EVF), and isn't the least bit interested in learning to do anything else.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

PS @ BigDawg: You must be a silver tounged devil to talk the missus out of $2 a day for lunch. :lol: I take my lunch every day and my wife makes me make it myself. I have to learn your secret.

tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 1:51 PM   #26

tsquare wrote:
Quote:
I will be the only one using the camera. My lovely wife will never, ever use this camera as she is strictly P&S, and it usually turns out that she does the "pointing" and I do the "shooting". I bought her a Konica-Minolta DiMage 5(?) and it is a nice little camera. She shoots strictly via the lcd (even though it has an EVF), and isn't the least bit interested in learning to do anything else.
LOL :lol:.

Deja-vous. I claimed the same when I gave my g/f my Kodak Z740 and I bought the DL2. She didn't want the agro of a SLR, the Kodak was what she wanted, if she wanted to take pics. Then I bought the K10D, and my DL2 vanished before the K10D was out of the box...

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 3:23 PM   #27

Don't sell the K100 short as a point and shoot. My husband is totally ignorant when it comes to things photographic. He's never owned a camera of any sort in his life and isn't interested in getting one (he HAS bought quite a few, the first one in 1980 for his girlfriend who was happily using aKodak and had no thought of wanting an SLR camera - little did he know...). One day we were on the way home, stuck in traffic due to a brush fire and I was driving. I asked him to get out my K100 and take a picture of the sign saying brush fire, and perhaps some of thefire itself. I had to tell him where the on-off switch was andhow to operate the zoom (DA50-200 was on the camera and it was in P mode). He happily snapped away and took some excellent pictures.

I sometimes think I should put together a couple of pictures, all taken with the K100. One with a lousy zoom that had been my fathers, one with my M 50mm 1.7, one with the kit lens and one with the DA*50-135. Then I could visually show someone how much better it is to invest in lenses (and flashes) than a bigger, fancier camera (all things being equal). tsquare - you should be really happy with the K100 Super.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 5:28 PM   #28

I bought the K100d for my first "real" camera and I have not regreted the decision. The advantage to the K100 (either the original or the super) is that it has the same "scene" modes as a point and shoot. You may want to jump in with both feet and use the more advanced features, but it makes the camera more accessible to a spouse or someone else who is not as interested in photography. The 6mp K100 will make better enlargements than a 10mp digicam.

As far as the K110, I agree with everyone else, the antishake is well worth the extra up front investment.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:55 AM   #29

Thanks. I've decided on the K100d Super. Now, I just hope I don't talk myself out it.:lol:
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:07 AM   #30

Put cotton in your ears and duct tape your mouth...Then hum this old man all day long....You'll get there! LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote