Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 28, 2007, 5:22 AM   #1

Before getting the *istDL in Dec 2005, the last new lens I purchased was in 1982. Early in 2006 I purchased a new Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 at an incredible price, thanks to this forum. Now I have really done it... I just ordered a brand new SMCP-FA 35mm f/2.0 AL !!

I know this may sound rather mundane, maybe even a little pathetic but, this represents a new stage for me. Rather than buying cheap second-hand zooms I have committed to a quality single focal length lens. I have seen so many examples from Daniel's favourite FA 135, or Tom's 300mm* or Roy's Vivitar 105mm macro that I realized I needed a good AF prime (too many focus errors with my old MF lenses). Why the 35mm? Simple, I always did my best work with a 50mm on film, I guess I haven't really learned to visualize with lenses that stray far from my normal vision. The 35mm is closest to that same field of view, also it has a reputation as probably the sharpest Pentax lens when used wide open.

The scary part is that I also have a bid on an FA50mm f1.4, also new, and if I get that lens I will have to be much more concerned about sensor dust since I will be changing lenses far more often. :-)

Sorry for the pointless post but I had to tell someone.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2007, 6:08 AM   #2

Ira

I thought that is the whole point of places such as this.

We understand all that stuff.

Phil

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:21 AM   #3

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Before getting the *istDL in Dec 2005, the last new lens I purchased was in 1982. Early in 2006 I purchased a new Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 at an incredible price, thanks to this forum. Now I have really done it... I just ordered a brand new SMCP-FA 35mm f/2.0 AL !!

I know this may sound rather mundane, maybe even a little pathetic but, this represents a new stage for me. Rather than buying cheap second-hand zooms I have committed to a quality single focal length lens. I have seen so many examples from Daniel's favourite FA 135, or Tom's 300mm* or Roy's Vivitar 105mm macro that I realized I needed a good AF prime (too many focus errors with my old MF lenses). Why the 35mm? Simple, I always did my best work with a 50mm on film, I guess I haven't really learned to visualize with lenses that stray far from my normal vision. The 35mm is closest to that same field of view, also it has a reputation as probably the sharpest Pentax lens when used wide open.

The scary part is that I also have a bid on an FA50mm f1.4, also new, and if I get that lens I will have to be much more concerned about sensor dust since I will be changing lenses far more often. :-)

Sorry for the pointless post but I had to tell someone.

Ira
Us LBA'ers need to know we are not alone.LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:54 AM   #4

Ira, you will be thrilled with the new lens or lenses depending on how the bidding goes. The FA 50mm should be a great lens, I have the F 50mm and it has great sharpness and contrast.

I think you did good and will be happy with your LBA!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:03 AM   #5

Congrats! I want the 35 mm too, and I guess i'ts in the stars that I'll buy one since you did. I'm sure Anette will be forgiving, if you allow her to borrow it every now and then... Welcome to the prime lens snob gang.

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 1:23 PM   #6

OK, my noobiness will now show. What is LBA? Thanks.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 1:37 PM   #7

that's one i want also ira. just tell her it will fit her cam also.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:09 PM   #8

Hi,

LBA = Lens buying addiction ... Haven't you caught it yet, it's very infectious. LOL ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:13 PM   #9

tsquare - LBA is a fatal condition. Most people who buy Pentax cameras develop it in one way or another - I'm surprised that Ira has resisted this long.

It stands for Lens Buying Addiction - and it is a real addiction. My budget doesn't allow me to indulge very often, and it gets worse right after I buy a nice lens (bought the DA*50-135 and now I want about 4 more lenses of various types). Hopefully my long talk to myself this morning has gotten me over my latest outbreak (hope, hope).

You'll love the lenses, Ira. The funny thing is that I used the two prime lenses (plus one more that I hardly ever used) that came with my ME camera back in 1980 for most of the time I had a film camera. The only zoom I bought in my film days was much later - the F 70-210. I now have several zoom lenses and still often forget that they are zoom-able, shooting with whatever focal length they happen to be at and zooming with my feet.

Harriet
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:57 PM   #10

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
tsquare - LBA is a fatal condition. Most people who buy Pentax cameras develop it in one way or another - I'm surprised that Ira has resisted this long.

It stands for Lens Buying Addiction - and it is a real addiction. My budget doesn't allow me to indulge very often, and it gets worse right after I buy a nice lens (bought the DA*50-135 and now I want about 4 more lenses of various types). Hopefully my long talk to myself this morning has gotten me over my latest outbreak (hope, hope).

You'll love the lenses, Ira. The funny thing is that I used the two prime lenses (plus one more that I hardly ever used) that came with my ME camera back in 1980 for most of the time I had a film camera. The only zoom I bought in my film days was much later - the F 70-210. I now have several zoom lenses and still often forget that they are zoom-able, shooting with whatever focal length they happen to be at and zooming with my feet.

Harriet
Not a fatal addiction unless you over do it. I sustain mine with the money given to me to buy my lunch. $2.00 per day and save till I have enough to buy...One day I'll be able to get those auto focus limited lens if I keep buying and selling to a profit...LOL It's fun as long as you confine yourself to your budget...

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote