Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 31, 2007, 6:50 AM   #11

Thanks for all the detail. The TC has merits, but you would still have to keeptaking it on and off in the field same as another lens. Whereas people seem to be saying that a macro lens is quitegood general use.

My style of shooting is that I tend to jump from one thing to another and so lens changing slows me down.

The Tamrom comparison is veryinteresting too. But I think I am veering towards "driver's" recommendationfor the Vivitar macro lens.

I never expected so much help from all you guys - thanks to all.
Attached Images

petehemdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 7:32 AM   #12

because you won't be using the lens wide open just about any good 50mm will work fine with the viv mconv, a f2 would be fine and you can pick them up for peanuts.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 8:28 AM   #13

Hi Pete, The Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro (and it's many equivalents) isn't a bad performer, and is readily available on Ebay reasonably priced. A review here

http://www.dyxum.com/columns/article...cro_review.asp

I've just acquired one from a friend, some shots here http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

I can also recommend the Vivitar 2X focussing TC ... I have one and have used it in combination with a Chinon 50mm/1.7 with good results, sample below ... Jack.

Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 9:16 AM   #14

Apologies !, I've come to realise that the shot above wasn't done with the Vivitar/Chinon combination, that was something else.

I ran a few off with with the Vivitar 2X focussing TC + the Chinon 50/1.7 this morning in a rather wet garden after overnight rain. How do you like these ... Jack

Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:21 AM   #15

petehemdig wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the detail. The TC has merits, but you would still have to keeptaking it on and off in the field same as another lens. Whereas people seem to be saying that a macro lens is quitegood general use.

My style of shooting is that I tend to jump from one thing to another and so lens changing slows me down.

The Tamrom comparison is veryinteresting too. But I think I am veering towards "driver's" recommendationfor the Vivitar macro lens.

I never expected so much help from all you guys - thanks to all.
not quite right. the vivitar macro focusing lens is not only a macro coverter but also a 2x tele converter it'll change your 50mm into a 1:1 macro lens as well as a 100mm mid tele. of course with a 2stop loss. the others that are similar as the panagor will only do the macro conversion.

roy
Old Sep 1, 2007, 4:07 PM   #16

These are really good and the sort of thing I am aimong at.
Hey you're going to a lot of trouble for my query - I appreciate it.
Pete
Old Sep 2, 2007, 5:22 AM   #17

Hi Pete, Probably 50% of what I shoot is macro stuff ... have done for years, and must have used or at least tried every method there is, from diopters to reversed lenses etc. so much easier and cheaper now with digital cams, so it's no trouble to shoot a few, these shots will end up in my collection anyway. I just wanted to show you what the Viv 2X focussing TC+ a good 50mm lens is capable of. I'll probably acquire a Pentax SMC-M f1.4 before too long, I feel it would work really well in this combination, + being an excellent lens for more regular use. ... Jack.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 6:27 PM   #18

jack,
i've had that lens since '78. it was a very costly investment for me at the time. i was upgrading to the semi pro MX. i still have it and it performs today just as good as it did 30 years ago. wow, where does it go.

roy
Old Sep 4, 2007, 4:19 AM   #19

robar wrote:
Quote:
jack,
i've had that lens since '78. it was a very costly investment for me at the time. i was upgrading to the semi pro MX. i still have it and it performs today just as good as it did 30 years ago. wow, where does it go.

roy
Tell me about that !, it goes, and awful fast it seems these days. ... Got my sights on a SMD-M 50/1.4 at the moment, just biding my time. ... Jack
Old Sep 4, 2007, 4:57 PM   #20

I just got a Vivitar 2x teleconverter, PKA/R-PK from a useful place in UK for about $20.
I really haven't had much chance to play with it, but I found that the aperture is not automatic which I didn't expect as well as focus which I did expect.
I managed the shot attached with the ev-compensation stopped down by 2ev and got roughly the correct exposure, but tried some a few minutes later and the exposure is completely different.
Im manual mode the aperature just does not show on the camera display.
So a tried a shot in manual (using the green button to set suggested exposure) which was 2sec but very over exposed. I then changed the exposure down to 1/8 sec and then the exposure was about right.
So I'm now a bit confused and finding it more complicated than I hoped.
Attached Images