Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:41 PM   #1

I am looking for a wide lens for my current lens lineup. I sold pretty much ALL of my old gear and am looking to replace/upgrade every lens in the lineup. With all this talk of everything moving to full frame, I would rather not buy any"Digital Only" lenses, call me crazy, but I also think the heavier full-frame lenses balance better with the K10D.

I am looking for something to fill in the gap I have in my current lineup and was thinking about the Zenitar 16mm and Pentax SMC-FA 28-105 to do the trick. Any other ideas to fill in this gap? I will have arround $250-300 left from selling old stuff to spend.

Old Lineup
Pentax *istDS
Pentax SMC-DA 18-55mm
Pentax SMC-M 50mm f/1.7
Tamron XR [IF]28-200mm f/3.8-5.6
Quantaray 100-300mm f/4.5-6.7 (Sigma rebrand)

New Lineup
Pentax K10D
Pentax SMC-FA 50mm f/1.4
Sigma APO DG 70-300mm f/4-5.6

As you can see, I desperately need something wider than 50mm, so any suggestions would be grand!
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:09 AM   #2

31mm Limited is excellent but will most likely break the bank. Some who buy it though never take it off the camera.

FA35mm f/2 is very well regarded and is noticeably wider than the 50, also much cheaper.

FA28/2.8 is supposedly excellent also, costs about the same as the 35.

... but this range is covered by your zooms..!

Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:55 AM   #3

See Daniel about the Zenitar 16mm.

He posts excellent pics using it.

Or of course, you have the 12-24mm and the 10-17mm, both highly recommended.

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 6:06 AM   #4

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
I will have arround $250-300 left from selling old stuff to spend.
Trying to keep it within this range. I know that I might be able to pick up the 35 or 28 primes for around this price, but it's really going to be pushing it andI would ratherhave the abilityto cover something really wide, like a 16, 17, or18mm lens if I need to. This lens will also be used on my ZX-10 for really wide shots.

Does anyone have any experiance with the Pentax SMC-FAJ 18-35mm, I know that the FAJ's don't have the greatest reputation, but really haven't heard anything about this lens.

Also looking at the Sigma EX DG 17-35mm f/2.8-4, it's much faster than the FAJ and goes a little wider, which is good for the K10. Anyone have any experiance with this lens?
Old Aug 31, 2007, 8:02 PM   #5

A recent Popular Photography issue had an article about bargains to be had, and mentioned the Tokina 19-35mm full frame as being available inexpensively for the Pentax mount and being very sharp for the price. I found some for sale new on ebay for about $100-$140 depending on the vendor when I looked. I have not purchased one but I did consider it as a hedge against future full frame cameras. I decided I would rather spend the money on something I need more now (like a 12-24mm).

Here is one:
http://tinyurl.com/2x2lf6

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 8:16 PM   #6

Yeah, but I was preferring something a little wider than the kit lens.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:44 AM   #7

i'm only lacking in the wide range. anything any good is pretty outside my range right now so it's going to have to wait. the kit has satisfied me so far but i really have the hots for the smc 12-24. the zenitar is a FF and still not wide enough. it's still just equal to a 24mm FF.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 8:01 PM   #8

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
A recent Popular Photography issue had an article about bargains to be had, and mentioned the Tokina 19-35mm full frame as being available inexpensively for the Pentax mount and being very sharp for the price. I found some for sale new on ebay for about $100-$140 depending on the vendor when I looked. I have not purchased one but I did consider it as a hedge against future full frame cameras. I decided I would rather spend the money on something I need more now (like a 12-24mm).

Here is one:
http://tinyurl.com/2x2lf6

The Tokina is actually available new from B&H for only about $120-130. A great lens for the price, and totally compatible with 35mm format. The plastic lens mount on the Pentax FAJ 18-35mm would steer me away, my FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 has a plastic mount and it is starting to show some signs of wear already.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:08 AM   #9

I have both the Zenitar 16mm and Tamron Adaptall 17mm and like them both. They are both manual focus, but the Tamron has the "A" setting for aperture control and is easier to use with my K10D. You can pick them up for under $100 if you're lucky, but the Pentax K/A adapters are getting hard to find and more expensive than they used to be (I've seen them go over $100).

Mike
Stringmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:29 PM   #10

Your parameters are a challenge.

I have hada FA 28-105 power zoom for over15 years. It served me well on a Z-1 on which the power zoom was nice, through an *ist D, without the power feature, to a K10D with part of the zoom ability. It's a good, quality lens that is no longer a very wide angle on the digital bodies.

I initially supplemented this with an FEZ17-28 fish-eye zoom. On the digital bodies, the fish-eye effect is not as blatant, and it can be "corrected" in post processing. It's really a fun lens on the Z-1, but it's still a semi-fish-eye.

This led me to the FA 20-35. The 1.5 digital factor makes this sort of a 30-52 equivalent. Since I almost never used the 28-105 at its widest, and the 20-35 is a great lens, I don't miss thegreater wideness.

None of these are available new and the latter two may break your stated budget unless you are lucky.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote