Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 1, 2007, 3:29 AM   #1

Anyone have any experiance or heard anything about this lens? I was thinking about picking it up so give me something a bit wider to work with. This will actually be the last lens in my kit until I can save up some more money.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2007, 4:03 AM   #2

Hi Nick,

Don't own one, never played with one, so take it for what it's worth. . .

The Sig 17-35 is not a lens I'd consider. The tests have not been great and the user reviews are all over the place and only ranging from good to awful. Nobody seemed to love the lens -- there are other fast wide zooms available for reasonable money that have been received more kindly, so I just eliminated this one from the field.

Of course, YMMV.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 8:58 AM   #3

What lens would you consider to cover this range in the $250-300 price range?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 9:44 AM   #4

I have the earlier non DG version of this lens, not bad at all.
It's better than the Pentax FAJ and Tokina in the same range. Pretty sharp stopped
down a bit, nice colors and contrast. It's got some distortion but can be corrected.
There's several of us Pentax shooters that have images taken with it on Pbase. Do a lens search there and you can see some examples. Only down side I see is that it's BIG, 82mm filter size on mine.
thazooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:13 AM   #5

In that price and focus range the consensus choice seems to be the DA 16-45 F4.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mm_f_4_ED.html

This is just one place and it comes out to 309 after rebate.
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 8:05 PM   #6

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
What lens would you consider to cover this range in the $250-300 price range?
Hi Nick,

Sorry, but I didn't take your other post with the Full frame requirement into account when I made the statement about other fast wide zooms being available in the price range.

I think though, that you have to take the crop factor into account more when looking at how wide you want to go. On a 35mm film cam, 20mm is very wide, and 15-16mm are usually getting into the fisheye category. For rectilinear lenses, something with a short side of under 20mm and fast is going to be an expensive lens with FF coverage.

My point is that you might want to prioritize (which is really going to be used more, film or digital), and if you want something under 20mm for the DSLR, get an APS-C optimized lens for it, and pick up a more moderate FL wide zoom for the film cam, like a 24-xx.

Actually, you might do okay with an APS-C image circle lens on the film cam -- I seem to remember that the DA 16-45 f4 works with a 35mm body between something like 24mm and 45mm (but I'm not sure of the range), and if this is the case, you'd get about the same FOV coverage for both bodies.

Other APS-C optimized lenses that might fill the bill are the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 (got mine for $339 +shipping), and the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DG (Cameta's got em for $300)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote