Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:59 AM   #11

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
And you do very well with it too. I'm still debating to get the Pentax lens or tear the Tamron down and fix the Autofocus motor. Never like driving a vehicle much after an overhaul as I can't completley trust it...Much the same with a lens...Never know when it will let you down again...But you never know when a used lens will let you down either. I dunno...May have to think a while longer on this one......

Dawg
Hi Dawg,

At least the repaired lens won't leave you in the middle of nowhere walkin'. . .
and you could learn something and at the same time show us what might be possible in the way of DIY lens repair. Sounds like a winning situation to me. . .Might even be a book (or web site) in there somewhere "Dawg's Guide to K-Mount Conversions and Repair"

Scott
Me thinks he jests....LOL Yeah I might do it if I get another close to the same...Right now I can use it manual focus...If I screw it up then I'm out a good 300mm lens....Then again I have 2 Vivitar 300mm's and a Caspeco 350mm....MMMM maybe you are right...I'll look into it.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:50 AM   #12

After seeing some really good shots from the 80-320, and not being happy with my 100-300 at its range limits, I went for the 80-320. But I had to have one in black. Don't ask why.

The first two I got didn't talk to my *ist D and I returned them to their respective vendors (both of whom were very helpful). The third one was the charm. I used it taking wildlife photos just last week and it still works fine.

I originally kept away from this lens because I could feel the seam in the plastic barrel. I guess I've lowered my standards. This is still a plastic lens, butwith good quality glass.

None of the three lenses were over $125 and all of them looked quite fine. But for the communication problem, I would have been happy with either of the first two.

As the sergeant on Hill Street Blues was wont to say - be careful out there.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 1:18 AM   #13

Heathglen wrote:
Quote:
After seeing some really good shots from the 80-320, and not being happy with my 100-300 at its range limits, I went for the 80-320. But I had to have one in black. Don't ask why.

The first two I got didn't talk to my *ist D and I returned them to their respective vendors (both of whom were very helpful). The third one was the charm. I used it taking wildlife photos just last week and it still works fine.

I originally kept away from this lens because I could feel the seam in the plastic barrel. I guess I've lowered my standards. This is still a plastic lens, butwith good quality glass.

None of the three lenses were over $125 and all of them looked quite fine. But for the communication problem, I would have been happy with either of the first two.

As the sergeant on Hill Street Blues was wont to say - be careful out there.

Larry in Dallas
Thanks for the info Larry...But I went and bit the bullet...I got a Vivitar series 1 Macro lens from Trader Jim on Ebay....If I don't make it through the month of September all of you can storm my house and make off with the lens collection...I'll be dead and won't need them. LOL

Dawg
Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:38 AM   #14

Hi Dawg:

I just got my new "Bargain" rated 80-320 Pentax Zoom from KEH and I found it in very good condition! The Glass waspristine! There were some minute scratches on the plastic barrel, but who worries about the phinish when fotografing! Har Har!

I immediately stepped out onto my front porch and took a photo at 320mm ofthe very top of afir tree approx. 120 feet away across the street, and I found the sharpness quite nice! I placed my Tamron 2x on and shot a couple with it too! I looked at a 12x image magnification on the back of my K100d Pentax, and I could make out shadows and separate needles in my LCD screen.

Mind you that it is not in the ballpark of the Tamron, Sigma, Canon, Nikon megabucks F:2.8 zooms, but if you need to count the Aphids on them needles, then spend away! I got the lens for $205.45 with a UV filter including delivery charges. I have never been dissapointed with KEH!

Mind you, you are getting a 4X optical magnification ratio, with the Pentax reputation behind them optics. And...Yes! There are no ED, LD, Superduper pieces of glass inside this lens, but if the lens is made correctly the first time, you don't need all that fancy megabucks pieces of aspheric glass to take a good photo!

I started shooting with Pentax back in 1970 with a Heiland Pentax with a 50mm prime lens, that had to have the auto aperature cocked prior to taking the photo, and mind you at $80.00 per month, Coast Guard pay, I could not afford their lenses at the time, but Vivitar, Lentar, and Spiratone, i.e. Sigma, all came through with flying colors.

After all it ain't the name on the camera body that makes a good photographer, but the way he handles his equipment! As a matter of fact, I was oneof a very few illustrators at Boeing in the 1990's to have had the opportunity and stamp of approval, to carry his own equipment on camera sensitive, company property, and I only owned one lens made by the camera manufacturer!

So Dawg, go to KEH and look at what they have in their Auto Focus line of Pentax lenses, and take a chance on them "Bargain" rated lenses! They guarantee the lens for 30 days, and you can return it if it doesn't work or isn't to your liking.

I still like the Tamron F:2.8 80-200 though, over the Sigma as the latter seems to be thumbing their noses at Pentax with their HSM auto focusing system, as it won't work on the K100d cameras. So people, go get the Tamron, as it is one wonderfully sharp lens! Save your money because, for50% less than Nikon or Canon,it isjust as good, that isunless you need to count them Aphids at 125 feet!

Over and out

Digiphot2
digiphot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:38 AM   #15

Hi Dawg:

I just got my new "Bargain" rated 80-320 Pentax Zoom from KEH and I found it in very good condition! The Glass waspristine! There were some minute scratches on the plastic barrel, but who worries about the phinish when fotografing! Har Har!

I immediately stepped out onto my front porch and took a photo at 320mm ofthe very top of afir tree approx. 120 feet away across the street, and I found the sharpness quite nice! I placed my Tamron 2x on and shot a couple with it too! I looked at a 12x image magnification on the back of my K100d Pentax, and I could make out shadows and separate needles in my LCD screen.

Mind you that it is not in the ballpark of the Tamron, Sigma, Canon, Nikon megabucks F:2.8 zooms, but if you need to count the Aphids on them needles, then spend away! I got the lens for $205.45 with a UV filter including delivery charges. I have never been dissapointed with KEH!

Mind you, you are getting a 4X optical magnification ratio, with the Pentax reputation behind them optics. And...Yes! There are no ED, LD, Superduper pieces of glass inside this lens, but if the lens is made correctly the first time, you don't need all that fancy megabucks pieces of aspheric glass to take a good photo!

I started shooting with Pentax back in 1970 with a Heiland Pentax with a 50mm prime lens, that had to have the auto aperature cocked prior to taking the photo, and mind you at $80.00 per month, Coast Guard pay, I could not afford their lenses at the time, but Vivitar, Lentar, and Spiratone, i.e. Sigma, all came through with flying colors.

After all it ain't the name on the camera body that makes a good photographer, but the way he handles his equipment! As a matter of fact, I was oneof a very few illustrators at Boeing in the 1990's to have had the opportunity and stamp of approval, to carry his own equipment on camera sensitive, company property, and I only owned one lens made by the camera manufacturer!

So Dawg, go to KEH and look at what they have in their Auto Focus line of Pentax lenses, and take a chance on them "Bargain" rated lenses! They guarantee the lens for 30 days, and you can return it if it doesn't work or isn't to your liking.

I still like the Tamron F:2.8 80-200 though, over the Sigma as the latter seems to be thumbing their noses at Pentax with their HSM auto focusing system, as it won't work on the K100d cameras. So people, go get the Tamron, as it is one wonderfully sharp lens! Save your money because, for50% less than Nikon or Canon,it isjust as good, that isunless you need to count them Aphids at 125 feet!

Over and out

Digiphot2
Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:38 AM   #16

Hi Dawg:

Over and out

Digiphot2
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:55 AM   #17

digiphot2 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg:

Over and out

Digiphot2
After I posted this Digiphot I recieved a Sigma 50-500mm lens from a friend and the Fa has not entered my mind since. But saying that i'd like to see some photos from your's!

Dawg

Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:16 PM   #18

It is a pretty good lens...

jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:38 AM   #19

I'd have to agree there!

Dawg