Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 2, 2007, 10:47 PM   #1

Anybody have one or own one?

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2007, 2:30 AM   #2

Hi Dawg,

I got one, prompted by a ton of posted shots by a poster on DPR nicked "Bejersey" who was doing great things with that lens. It was dubbed the "Bejersey Zoom", and some of the oldtimers still remember it as that. He's a guy who has blown through just about every entry level DSLR made, and though he returned to the Pentax fold up to about a month ago, he's off again, this time to Panasonic land with an L1.

I got a bargain used copy with a stiff spot in the zoom rotation, and did some good work with it until I got an A*300/4, and then soon after, an FA*300, and that was just about the end of using xx-3xx zooms for me. . .

The FA 80-320 is a good lens, a bit soft wide open past 200, but as good as the older Tamron and Sigma 70-300s (I don't know about the newest models -- what I've seen from them is that they both have improved their formulae from almost two years ago when I compared them against the 80-320. Stopped down it's fine, but a bit slow for the way I shoot now. . .

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 6:10 AM   #3

A friend of mine has one and it produced some very sharp results. Optically it is a little soft, wide open at the long end at least, and mechanically it is a little "plastic-y", although much more robust than my FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8. Generally it appears to have a decent reputation for a budget zoom and my brief experience with it bears that out. The girl who owns it has some terrific telephoto shots taken with her Pentax ZX-7 film camera that have excellent sharpness and colour (at least in the 5"X 7" prints she showed me).

I was looking for one of these but couldn't find one at a price I could afford so I settled for an earlier F 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 which is much better built than my FA.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 1:31 PM   #4

Hi Dawg,

Its the same lens I have been spending the last 8 months hunting for. I had several opportunties, but was slow to pull the trigger, so I missed. For what ever reason, I was looking at two ebay auctions and thought I was buying the 80-320, but wound up bidding (and winning) the 75-300.

The 75-300 is ok, "plastic----y" is a VERY approperiate description. It will not set the world on fire. I do think that the 80-320 is a better bet - from my reading. Just do not get confused as I did between the two and getting the wrong one at there are more than a few combinations out there 80-320, 200-300, 75-300, etc.

I will say, I have taken some good photos of the girls - our IGs (italian greyhounds) here, so the 300 has not gone to waste. I have found that the 50-200 is a bit short, but for in the house with the IGs a faster lens would be much better, but the 300 gives me the range, so I just make it work.

With Hoya purchasing Pentax, I have been looking at Tokina, especially their 80-400 that I believe comes in a Pentax mount - or did at one time. My thinking here is that 300 is about the most I can handle with out a tripod and its mid range for this lens, so I might have a bit better luck by staying off the extremes. Plus, looking for more traveling and a 400 might help there. However, I am finding that some like it while a lot of others hate it. .... so who knows? :O

Happy hunting....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 7:14 PM   #5

Thanks to all for the reply....I may just stay with the all manual lens as I really don't have that good a luck with the Auto ones....And then again maybe I just need to bite the bullet and go ahead....The thing is, quite often the camera lens combo will say no when the settings are "wrong" and I hate something telling me what to do...Especially when I've set the settings where I know they work best in what I do....Hate to say it but they have nearly totally turned me off Auto lens...Or then may be I still remember my 5 year old Grandson beating me at a video game...LOL I've been looking at a couple and they are priced near my top limit....Gotta wait and see I guess.

Dawg
Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:23 PM   #6

i have a 80-320 pentax auto focus auto apperture

silver in colour

is that the one??

it looks like this
http://www.cambridgeworld.com/pentax...zoom_lens.html
mine has a rubber hood

$80 au from a second hand shop

i like it
i just wish i could use it better
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 11:57 PM   #7

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
i have a 80-320 pentax auto focus auto apperture

silver in colour

is that the one??

it looks like this
http://www.cambridgeworld.com/pentax...zoom_lens.html
mine has a rubber hood

$80 au from a second hand shop

i like it
i just wish i could use it better
That's the one. I'm looking at a $140 plus for a used one. Got some 100-300 FA's for around $50.00. Sigh....Decisions decisions!!! I've got a Tamron 70-300 AF LD but the Auto Focus went south on me. Sounded like a coffee grinder with a bad bearing when it worked. I get the feeling that is the way they all sounded as I have a 28-80 of the same type that sounds just the same. Scares the heck out of the wild life when it focuses.

Dawg

Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:23 AM   #8

i do the rounds of pawn brokers as they seem to have less idea of whats good
(not that i am an expert)
and film cameras (including Pentax with Pentax lenses) are rather cheapish as no one wants them any more

i am finding now that most of the lenses seem to be sigma wide and mid range zooms

but i will keep looking

PS i do like my lens, it gets used quite a bit
here a shot with it

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:25 AM   #9

And you do very well with it too. I'm still debating to get the Pentax lens or tear the Tamron down and fix the Autofocus motor. Never like driving a vehicle much after an overhaul as I can't completley trust it...Much the same with a lens...Never know when it will let you down again...But you never know when a used lens will let you down either. I dunno...May have to think a while longer on this one......

Dawg
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:45 PM   #10

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
And you do very well with it too. I'm still debating to get the Pentax lens or tear the Tamron down and fix the Autofocus motor. Never like driving a vehicle much after an overhaul as I can't completley trust it...Much the same with a lens...Never know when it will let you down again...But you never know when a used lens will let you down either. I dunno...May have to think a while longer on this one......

Dawg
Hi Dawg,

At least the repaired lens won't leave you in the middle of nowhere walkin'. . .
and you could learn something and at the same time show us what might be possible in the way of DIY lens repair. Sounds like a winning situation to me. . .Might even be a book (or web site) in there somewhere "Dawg's Guide to K-Mount Conversions and Repair"

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote