Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:29 PM   #1

I am getting ready to leave for Hawaii tomorrow for my honeymoon. I set my camera bag on the bed and opened the zipper. I forgot that I had my Sigma lens on the side and it fell down. It was a good foot drop or so and hit the leg on my chair. I picked it, looked at it, and it looks fine. I mounted the lens and notice the aperture (Av) reading keeps going off. What I mean by that is when you look at the LED on top of the K100D, you see the Av and you see two line like this. Av --. If I move the camera up or down the reading will come back and go off. I also notice that if I hold the aperture ring down, the reading will be fine no matter how I point it.

Other then that, the lens is fine, no problem with focusing and shooting.

Now, am I screwed now? Is there a way to fix this lens or is it worth fixing? How is the warranty from sigma? I bought this lens from adorama.com as an open box at a discounted price. I had no problem with this lens at all before this accident. This is my favort lens and is ususally always mounted on the body.

I hope this lens can be fixed at a reasonable price because I really love this lens. This lens retail for about $430 or so and I got it for a lot cheaper then that. I hope I don't loose this lens from my stupidty. In a way, it seems like loosing a friend.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:07 PM   #2

Oh, oh. I hope Roy or BigDawg chime in here, but it sounds to me like you've loosened or bent something involving the mount/electronic contacts. Does this lens have an aperture ring? If so, you can probably use it as a manual lens, as long as it will still stop down (check the lever).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:37 PM   #3

Yes the lens does have an aperture ring and it does lock into whatever aperture I put it to. It locks on the lens but on the camera it will still blink the two line or whatever aperture I locked it to.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:28 PM   #4

Contact Sigma (call or email), describe the problem, and see what they say. You can send it for inspection and an estimate (warrantees normally cover only manufacturing defects - if something only came loose, they may cover it, but if there is accidental damage, you might be charged).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 3:29 PM   #5

i'm not sure what you mean by ''holding the aperture ring down''

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 3:41 PM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:

roy
I am sorry I should of explained it better. When I say hold it down, I mean holding it like you are twisting the ring to the right or left but without pressing the button to actually turn it. If I do that, the aperture number on the top of the camera will show fine.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 6:39 AM   #7

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:

roy
I am sorry I should of explained it better. When I say hold it down, I mean holding it like you are twisting the ring to the right or left but without pressing the button to actually turn it. If I do that, the aperture number on the top of the camera will show fine.
May be3 me, but don't you have to put the lens onto the 'A' setting.

I have several lenses which will only blink -- at me if I take them off the 'A' setting.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote