Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 8, 2007, 9:48 AM   #1

After reading these boards for the last few years Ifinally made the jump to a K10D, my 1st DSLR and I love it. It came with thePentax 18-55mm and I also purchased a Pentax 50-200mm and a Sigma 10-20mm with the camera. I have been using Pentax film cameras since my first Spotmatic upthrough my LX and have owned many lenses over the years, but until now they have all been manual focus ones. With the eyes starting to fade a bit I decided to finally go with auto focus.

The issue that I noticed is that on the 18-55mm (and to a lesser extent the 50-200mm) when I attach the lens hood or screw in a filter I notice that the interior lens barrel seems to havea little lateral play in it, and rattlesaround slightly. This is most pronounced at close focus and at a 55mm focal length. The 50-200mm does it too, but to a much less extent. I assume it is due to them being autofocus lenses with alot of plastic and it's something that maybeeveryone else got used to years ago (they do seem to do a pretty good job, although just atad soft at times).

I know that although these lenses seem toshoot prettywell they aren't the top of the food chain of lenses, and since these are my first autofocus lenses, maybe the issue is all in my head. These are my first new SLR lenses since the late eighties and my others are much heavier, but none of them seem to have any playin the interior barrels. I just wanted to check to see if it's something I should beconcerned about.
Odinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:42 AM   #2

Hi Odinz,
Welcome to the board ... I cant really comment on your query, The only AF lens I have is the 18/55mm kit lens ... I haven't noted any real problems with it personally, but then I tend to use mainly older manual lenses. There are many others here I'm sure that will respond to your queries, and will answer you better than I can ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:04 AM   #3

i just checked my kit lens and there is just a tad of play in it. it does have the most at 55mm and closed focused. that's when the lens is it's longest. i think it's probably normal as i'm sure these plastic lenses don't have the specs the metal ones have. i wouldn't worry about it. i'd ck another but it's the only plastic or AF lens i have.

roy

oh, and welcome to the board.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:13 AM   #4

They tend to feel and sound like they are loose but actually they are well contained. Some of the loosey goosey feel is the As system ratteling around. I have about 20 or so lens and to a certain extent the plastic ones all feel loose. Not to worry as they are actually tight to the frame and will not fall off. Hope this helps.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:30 AM   #5

Thanks all. I didn't notice it when I first got the camera (new toy and all) and last week when I did finally did notice it I thought at first maybe it was something I had done. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Steve
Odinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:08 PM   #6

Just to further confirm what has already been said: When I bought my DS I upgraded the kit lens to a 16-45 mm, as I have been spoilt by owning some of the finest Pentax manual lenses and think I know the difference between very good and exquisite.

This was my first AF lens and I was quite dissappointed with the plastic and rattelyfeel of the lens. But as I have grown used to it I have come to terms with that and appreciate the picture quality it delivers.

But still, it's not an all metal granite feel MF lens like my older ones... And it will be dead and buried when my A* lenses are still up and doing.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote