Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:30 PM   #1

Hi. I haven't posted here much, but I'm a longtime Pentax fan,however Ihaven't yet purchased a Pentax digital slr. I do suffer from LBA, having purchased several Pentax lenses (as well as several K1000's :-) ) from eBay. (That's what I get for mostly lurking here, ha ha).

Willthe appropriate autofocus lens work in manual focus on a Pentax K1000 film camera? I know that the Pentax lenses I already have should work on the Pentax digital slr when I do eventually get around to buying one, but I'm going on vacation soon (taking a K1000 along) and I'm currently unable to find a reasonably priced telephoto (300mm) to go along with the lenses I already have.

I was wondering in particular about the Sigma and Tamron 70-300 zooms I've seen discussed here.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
JaniceO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2007, 4:04 PM   #2

hi janice,
do we know each other?? welcome to the board.
the answer is yes. all the AF lenses will manual focus on the K1000. if you get the sigma be sure to get the APO version. the only type of lens you want to avoid when using the k1000 are the lenses that are for ''digital only'' , this includes all of pentax's DA lenses. they will work on the k1000 but will vignette horribly..
when are you going to break down and get a digital. the prices of some of the pentax digitals are very low especially the slightly used older models like my DS.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 5:27 PM   #3

You'll probably want to avoid the FA-J series lenses too as they have no external aperature controls.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 5:34 PM   #4

The other set of lensesI would avoid for your use are the FAJ lenses - they don't have an aperture ring and I don't think the K1000 has the ability to control aperture (I've never actually owned one but that's my understanding). I looked at the picture of the Sigma on B&H's web site and it definitely has an aperture ring - I couldn't tell with the Tamron.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 7:06 PM   #5

I'm pretty sure the Tamron has the aperture ring as well, but I know for a fact that the Sigma APO DG 70-300 has one and is a hell of a deal for only $219ish... You can probably find it cheaper, if you are patient. (Took me about 4 months to find one used to save a buck)
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 7:43 PM   #6

Thanks for ya'll's replies thus far.

Yes, roy, we do know each other as I bought aTokina RMC doubler from you on eBay a little more than a year ago. At least, I THINK it was you I purchased it from.:-)

I'm leaning toward the Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro for Pentax, instead of the Sigma APO DG whatever it is,as I think I can get a more reasonable deal for it.

Also, it's supposed to be a bit lighter, which is a consideration as I'll beflying thencrusiing during the "vacation thing."

Whatcha'll think?
JaniceO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 9:03 PM   #7

JaniceO. wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for ya'll's replies thus far.

Yes, roy, we do know each other as I bought aTokina RMC doubler from you on eBay a little more than a year ago. At least, I THINK it was you I purchased it from.:-)

I'm leaning toward the Tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro for Pentax, instead of the Sigma APO DG whatever it is,as I think I can get a more reasonable deal for it.

Also, it's supposed to be a bit lighter, which is a consideration as I'll beflying thencrusiing during the "vacation thing."

Whatcha'll think?
I have a K1000 and my Tamron AF LD 70-300 works quite well. It is a Macro focusing lens and from about 4-5 feet does a very good job on closeups. I still have the K1000 but it gets no use as the K10D is far superior to it in almost all respects. Sell some of those K1000's and buy a Digital Pentax...You won't regret it. Course if you are a student then the K1000 is a great camera to learn with...It doesn't do everything for you therefore you have to think to use it.. Love mine but since it does nothing but sit and gather dust I will be selling it soon.
Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:19 AM   #8

thanks for updating me. the J lenses i'd for gotten about.

dawg, i sold all my film cameras. this old mudbug ain't never going back.

janice, yes it was me.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:47 PM   #9

robar wrote:
Quote:
thanks for updating me. the J lenses i'd for gotten about.

dawg, i sold all my film cameras. this old mudbug ain't never going back.

janice, yes it was me.

roy
I'm fixin' ta' sell mine as well Roy but the DX6490 Kodak stays...It is just too good.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote