Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:08 PM   #1

ordered my k10d last week, should arrive any day now. it's my first dslr and i'm already fretting about what lenses i'll want for it. i know that the best advice is probably to shoot for a month or two before deciding so that i can get a feel for what kind of situations i'll be using the camera in most often. in general, i'll just want a versatile lens so that i can leave in the morning with a very small kit and shoot in a variety of situations as i walk the city. i thinka pentax equivalent of the nikon 18-200 vr (sans vr, of course)would probably suit best here. any suggestions in the $150-$250 (or less) range? in the long-term, i think i'm leaning towards adding awide angle lens, but that's a ways off for now.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"thanks.
culveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:30 PM   #2

As a fellow noob, I find the kit lens to be perfectly fine for everyday use (18-55mm) and is quite good at close-up photography. I also have the Sigma APO DG Macro 70-300mm lens which is very nice, for the money it's a bargain, especially if you are into macro photography, plus it has a very useable 300mm reach. You get what you pay for, but for 2 lenses covering near and far they are fine. You are missing the 55-70mm difference between them, but that can be compensated with a step or two forwards/back.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 2:11 PM   #3

It partly depends on how you see the world. I tend to look at details rathar than the broad picture so find that the DA*50-135 really works well as a street photography/walk-about lens. However, it isn't cheap by any means. Before Ibought it Iused the DA 50-200, which isnormally a decentlens and not that expensive. I still use the kit lens for what little wide angle things I do - I just don't "see" in wide angle much so don't mind using what's actually a medium telephoto as a walk-about lens (in the film days I used a 70-210 as my walk-about lens, with a 50mm lens for everything wider. I own but never used a 24mm 2.8 lens). Changing lenses is no big deal.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:28 AM   #4

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
It partly depends on how you see the world. I tend to look at details rathar than the broad picture so find that the DA*50-135 really works well as a street photography/walk-about lens. However, it isn't cheap by any means. Before Ibought it Iused the DA 50-200, which isnormally a decentlens and not that expensive. I still use the kit lens for what little wide angle things I do - I just don't "see" in wide angle much so don't mind using what's actually a medium telephoto as a walk-about lens (in the film days I used a 70-210 as my walk-about lens, with a 50mm lens for everything wider. I own but never used a 24mm 2.8 lens). Changing lenses is no big deal.
I have the Kit lens and a Tamron 70-300 that I like to take walking with me. They make a great pair as the cover most of what you might need in City Scapes. For general all around walk abouts in the field I like my Vivitar A 80-200 macro focusing lens as it is so crystal clear and covers what I like most of the time. Throw either the 35mm, 24mm or the kit lens in with it and you are ready.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:21 PM   #5

Hi culveric,

From reading between the lines it appears that you might have the body with a single lens. If that is the case, you have the answer - which is to use it to shoot and in doing so expirement with the lens and camera body. The K10 is going to take some getting use to. As you indicated, you will soon find out where your interests lie and I am assuming that you may have the kit lens, which is really very good as a wide angle and up to a pretty normal focal length.

You will probably want to go longer and the advice already given is excellent.

A year ago I picked up my system and you need some time with each lens to understand everything (as opposed to switching lens every few minutes/shots), and get use to what your doing - especially if the images do not turn out as expected. I like the wide side of things. A while after getting the basic body and kit, I was able to pick up the 10-17 Fisheye - a real speciality lens. I used it as a walking around lens for at least a week for everything and I learned a lot. The point is, I made myself work with just that, rather than switch to a couple of other lens I had and wound up getting a very good feel and some unusual pictures.

Also by taking your time, you will wind up spending a lot less than otherwise.....

Hope that helps..
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote