Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 12, 2007, 1:29 PM   #1

Does anyone repair lenses or know a shop that is reasonable price wise . I have a Kiron 35-135 that needs to be put back together and adjusted for infinity. It could use a minor cleaning perhaps but there is no fungus or discoloration on it. It simply came apart(sounds like something one of my grand kids might say) due to my misunderstanding some instructions on adjusting infinity and loosining the wrong group of screws. went from two parts to 4 and I think I better stop before it becomes 8 or 16 parts :0)
Kenn
KennJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:24 PM   #2

hi ken,
haven't seen you around so welcome to the board. i do primes but haven't graduated to zooms yet. you can send the lens to KEH and they can fix it. there's also someone in canada that will also. i think he charges 78usd for this plus shipping. i can find his address if you want me to. i've got a local shop also if you want it.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:12 PM   #3

Thanks Roy. I mostly lurk but post every once in awhile.
It's a shame that there is not a camera reapir place in my area as it is a fairly large city but there is only two camera stores in the Norfolk, Va. Beach area to start with.
I guess I will talk to the folks at KEH as I have purchased several lenses from them and they are good to deal with from my experience so far.
I thought that if someone here or at one of the other boards might do some repairs as a side job it would be a good way to support a small buisiness person. Most everyone I have spoken with says the zooms are considerably more complex with more adjustments compaired to primes. Way over my head anyway as I have discovered.
Kenn
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:31 AM   #4

zooms are a nightmare. go here and clik the ''what's inside a zoom lens''
http://www.adaptall-2.com/

roy
Old Sep 15, 2007, 1:16 PM   #5

I had a time with a 28-200 zoom which had a problem with autofocus and specks on internal lens elements which rendered it useless. Being very careful to index everything as I disassembled it, I was able to repair both the focus problem (warped tube, probably had been dropped) and clean the optics. Time consuming, but an interesting learning experience. If I billed the time to someone at 5 bucks an hour, it would have run more than the cost of a new lens.

Probably not worth the cost of repair, unless it is a very expensive or rare lens to start with.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 3:32 PM   #6

Interesting link Roy and one that should make anyone thinking of messing with one of these think twice before jumping in.
The lens is a Kiron 35-135 f3.5-4.5 with a 1:4 macro ration at all points of the lens and I would like to get it back together but only have 40 dollars invested in it at this point so I will have to give serious consideration to putting but so much $ into it. I also have a pentax A 35-105 a kit lens 18-55 and a Sigma 28-75 f2.8 so it is not like I dont have it covered . On th eother hand I hear it is a good lens so I guess I will see what can be done to get it up and running.
Kenn
Old Sep 16, 2007, 7:05 PM   #7

KennJ wrote:
Quote:
Interesting link Roy and one that should make anyone thinking of messing with one of these think twice before jumping in.
The lens is a Kiron 35-135 f3.5-4.5 with a 1:4 macro ration at all points of the lens and I would like to get it back together but only have 40 dollars invested in it at this point so I will have to give serious consideration to putting but so much $ into it. I also have a pentax A 35-105 a kit lens 18-55 and a Sigma 28-75 f2.8 so it is not like I dont have it covered . On th eother hand I hear it is a good lens so I guess I will see what can be done to get it up and running.
Kenn
kenn,
i basically have the same stovepipe kiron you have but it's the 28-105. it was a freebie. i'm slowly working up the nerves to crack it. i've got info on these if you want it. catch me at roysphoto at gmail.com... even with the grime in mine it still takes outstanding images. i've never ran into a optically bad kiron lens.

roy
Old Sep 16, 2007, 7:07 PM   #8

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
I had a time with a 28-200 zoom which had a problem with autofocus and specks on internal lens elements which rendered it useless. Being very careful to index everything as I disassembled it, I was able to repair both the focus problem (warped tube, probably had been dropped) and clean the optics. Time consuming, but an interesting learning experience. If I billed the time to someone at 5 bucks an hour, it would have run more than the cost of a new lens.

Probably not worth the cost of repair, unless it is a very expensive or rare lens to start with.

brian
if documented, i'd be MORE than interested in seeing the process.
roysphoto at gmail.com

roy
Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:36 PM   #9

Sounds good to me. I will be happy to video the process digitally (trv-17) and get a copy out to anyone who might like to have it.
I have owned a few vivitars and they were Kiron products so I am well aware that this is a good lens and would give good pictures if I can get it back to right.
Brian, if you could help out with your info I would greatly apreciate it. You can e-mail me at kjolemore at cox.net.
Kenn
Old Sep 26, 2007, 6:19 PM   #10

Here is a link to my experiences with lens repair:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...ght=NonEntity1

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote