Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 13, 2007, 3:58 PM   #1

Hey everyone

I am new to the forum and will be purchasing my K10D in week or so. I have researched this forever, but I am looking for advice for lens to go along with the K10D kit lens. I am pretty sure I am going to get the smc P-FA 50mm F1.4, but I can't decide on a zoom lens. First I thought I would go with the Sigma 70-300(APO), but now I am leaning more towards the Tamron 70-300 DI LD. I know this topic has been covered, but I was trying to get the latest opinion. Has anyone used both? I also know that the tamron 18-250 might be a better choice, but it is to much money for my first zoom lens.
Scott14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:49 PM   #2

Hvaen't used the Tamron, but I know that I, along with many others are loving the Sigma APO DG 70-300. I wouldn't give mine up!

If I am not mistaking, Iknow the Sigma does 1:2 macro, but I thinkthe Tamron only does 1:3.9... but I could be wrong.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 8:46 PM   #3

They are both 1:2 focus up 37.4'. I have read a lot of your post and seen alot of your pics, inneyeseakay. That is why I started to lean towards the sigma, but as I researched I started to sway towards the tamron. I have heard the sigma gets locked sometimes in the macro mode and it starts at 200mm, where the tamron starts macro at 180mm. I have also heard the tamron is sharper after 200mm than the sigma. The tamron's minimum aperture is F/32 compared to the sigma's F/22. Plus the sigma has only a 1 year warranty compared to the tamron's 6 year one. I am not sure if that matters or not. I wish there was someone with pics from the tamron to compares to yours, inneyeseakay. You can also get the tamron two lens kit for $189 on amazon. It comes with the 70-300 DI LD and also a 28-80mm lens. The 28-80mm doesn't look that great, but it is practically free compared to the 70-300 by itself.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:28 PM   #4

I have heard that those lenses in the two lens kits are not so great... butI can't remember if it was the Tamron orTokina... I think the Tamron is more comparable to theNon-APO Sigma70-300... The APO DG is very highly regarded.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:07 PM   #5

Scott14 wrote:
Quote:
Hey everyone

I am new to the forum and will be purchasing my K10D in week or so. I have researched this forever, but I am looking for advice for lens to go along with the K10D kit lens. I am pretty sure I am going to get the smc P-FA 50mm F1.4, but I can't decide on a zoom lens. First I thought I would go with the Sigma 70-300(APO), but now I am leaning more towards the Tamron 70-300 DI LD. I know this topic has been covered, but I was trying to get the latest opinion. Has anyone used both? I also know that the tamron 18-250 might be a better choice, but it is to much money for my first zoom lens.
I have owned both, and now own only the Sigma. Sharpness, to my eye, is slightly better with the Sigma, but the contrast to me seems where the Sigma rises above. Both are very good lenses - I grade the Tamron a B, the Sigma a B+
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:19 AM   #6

nznhut, did you have any problems with switching in and out of macro mode with either of these lens?
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:14 AM   #7

I have the AF LD Tamron 70-300 and here are some photos with it. Though it is not the DI version it is a very sharp lens. I don't know about the Sigma as I've never owned one Scott. It Has never locked in Macro mode for me.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:08 AM   #8

The September issue of "What Digital Camera" had both lenses in a feature, and the Sigma beat the Tamron it seems only due to faster auto-focus speeds, there's very little between them, but the Sigma is a few dollar cheaper as well.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:40 PM   #9
TC3

Tachikoma wrote:
Quote:
The September issue of "What Digital Camera" had both lenses in a feature, and the Sigma beat the Tamron it seems only due to faster auto-focus speeds, there's very little between them, but the Sigma is a few dollar cheaper as well.
Here in uk the Sigma is quite a bit more pricey. You can get the Tamron for 80 quid in UK and the testers quoted it at around 170 quid. If the testers were aware just how much cheaper the Tamron is it would have been given a much higher ranking

I have a few posts i did with the Tamron here and the third link has a bunch of zoo pics so please take a look at what the lens can do

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=24118420

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=24173665

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=24669656

Hope that helps

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:40 PM   #10
Super Moderator

When I was a Konica Minolta user before switching to Canon I had the Tamron. When choosing between the two I did a lot of tests (non of which I any longer have) and I liked the Tamron more as it kept a wider aperture for longer as you zoomed which was good when shooting sports allowing more light in. Whichever you choose you will be pretty happy with as they are good entry level telephoto zooms.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote