Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 15, 2007, 2:21 PM   #11

Dawg is right, I was suprised that you said it was stainless, I'm sure it will be chromed brass, machine marks will show through flash chrome. I assume you just want to enlarge the hole dia. to allow the thread to be forced through.If that is so it's easy to do with a half round file, or if you can borrow one, a Dremel mini grinder, but remember the goggles ! SS
silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 3:17 PM   #12

I have been looking for more and more excuses to pick up a Dremel (B&Q actually have a knock-off version with a lot of bits for £30!) but I think my other half will only let me get away with a few files for now...

Thanks again both, hopefully I will be able to get it done tomorrow!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:31 AM   #13

After purchasing a metalworking file in Homebase, I then picked up a dremel knock-off for £25 in HobbyCraft (teach me not to shop around before putting money down for something), and ground the flange down to a perfect fit. Now the question of adhesives... I have some epoxy, some silicone bathroom sealant, superglue, blutac or a friend that does leaded windows who has a welding iron and is quite good at it. Would lead solder be able to hold the two pieces of metal together enough, or should I just slap a load of epoxy between the two parts?
Old Sep 16, 2007, 5:27 PM   #14

If you are going to solder such a mass of metal you willneed a lot of heat,a small blow torch or big electric iron and metal must beperfectly clean and roughed up to key the solder, then 'tinned' (you mate will know this). Not an easy job, If you have a reasonable surface contact area I would go for 24hr Araldite, (stronger than 5min variety),just make sure you set it up square and prop it as to stop movement. best of luck SS
Old Sep 16, 2007, 7:02 PM   #15

Use the long setting 2 part epoxy and forget it. It will hold almost forever. Soldering will work but you are going to have to use enough heat to tin it and you could damage it. Just scuff the 2 surfaces really well and be sure it is perfectly aligned and has enough weight or pressure to prevent it from moving for about 24 hrs.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:40 AM   #16

Hi dawg, sounds like we went to the same engineering school,but at 65 i thinkI left before you started ! oh and our school rooms were 5000 miles apartSS
Old Sep 17, 2007, 4:09 AM   #17

Righty-oh then, will use the epoxy, I have a vice that I can stick it into whilst it set, thanks both, expect the hideous results soon!
Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:55 AM   #18

silversurfer wrote:
Quote:
Hi dawg, sounds like we went to the same engineering school,but at 65 i thinkI left before you started ! oh and our school rooms were 5000 miles apartSS
SS...Mine was the engineering school of hard knocks and re-trys. LOL I like the way you think!!! LOL

Dawg
Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:56 AM   #19

Tachikoma wrote:
Quote:
Righty-oh then, will use the epoxy, I have a vice that I can stick it into whilst it set, thanks both, expect the hideous results soon!
Looking forward to those photos.

Dawg
Old Sep 18, 2007, 4:10 AM   #20

SS...Mine was the engineering school of hard knocks and re-trys.

Yep, dawg, that was the school I went too, the classroom was an old garage workshop in Liverpool !

but, it never taught me how to fix/use these infernal computers (as my attempt at inserting a quote prob. shows!!!) SS