Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 15, 2007, 5:10 PM   #1

Hi, a quick question,will a Jessops MC 2x auto comverter PKA work withK10d and either sigma 70-300 apo,dg or an old vivitar series 1 ver.1 70- 210, 67mm manual lens ? just spotted one on ebay, ends in 18 hrs time ! If you say no I'll know you are bidding for it !!! SS
silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2007, 6:22 PM   #2

I tried my ancient Vivitar PK 2x Teleconverter on my Sigma APO DG 70-300 Macro earlier and it worked... to a fashion, it was almost unusably soft at 300mm (600mm if you are being pedantic) but with a tripod and enough time to fiddle, it should be useable. Presumably a PKA TC will the same but with auto-aperture.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:54 PM   #3

i don't know about the jessops but i've really never had much use for a 2x on a zoom lens. too much IQ lost and the softness was a real problem. if you get it for 20usd to try then go for it. the 1.4 TCs seem to be a lot better. with the 2x you also have to take into account the amount of light you are losing. -2Ev..
my experience?? 2x+ zoom = POS
it can be a better exprerience with a prime.

just my 2ยข
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:56 PM   #4

Tachikoma wrote:
Quote:
I tried my ancient Vivitar PK 2x Teleconverter on my Sigma APO DG 70-300 Macro earlier and it worked... to a fashion, it was almost unusably soft at 300mm (600mm if you are being pedantic) but with a tripod and enough time to fiddle, it should be useable. Presumably a PKA TC will the same but with auto-aperture.
It will get you out there but the photos will not be as sharp as with out it. I tried several and have now converted them to Macro extension tubes. Mine were all manual or Auto Aperture only. If you have a good lens and a sharp focus on a subject...And you shoot it in RAW then enlarging by cropping it is a better way to go. I've found you will get sharper photos that way. Most times a teleconverter over 1.7 starts to give a too soft look. The Series one is a very sharp lens and the teleconverter will probably soften the photos for you. But they are fun to play with.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 4:42 AM   #5

Thanks guys, more or less what I thought, I suppose x2 is asking a lot and as you found they produce noticable softness. Yes, as dawg say's "do it in the photo editing" is best. And I had the thought that it is more fiddling to do..... and potentialy more stress on the mounts.We stick with the viv. series 1 ! thanks again SS
silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote