Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 18, 2007, 7:57 PM   #1

I jumped on an evil baybuy it now listing today - Sigma 70-300mm APO F4-5.6 used. I'm not sure which version it is.It's not the"Super" version as I beleive they have "super" written on the lens. The photo of the lens just shows "APO Macro" in Gold with agold trim ring around the top of the focus ring. The balance of the text on the lens is in white "70-300mm" and "1:4-5.6" and I can see "Sigma" in white also. I got it for US$129. I've been watching for any Sigma APO version of this lens but they go for more than I was willing to pay. Think I made the right move?
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:50 PM   #2

I've got the non-APO version and I love it. I don't know for sure but I think the newer Sigma APO's have a red ring around them not a gold one.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:19 PM   #3

Yes, the new ones have the red ring and are marked " DG.That indicates they are designed for digital camerasto reduce CA/PF. The one I bought is not the DG version, so I'm curious to see how it works on my K100D.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:17 AM   #4

Well I received the evil bay $129 "rare", "like new", "hardly ever used", "perfect glass" with "Hood and end caps", Sigma 70-300mm APO lens today. The actual description upon inspection is :

"Sigma 70-300mm APO lens; comes with useless lens hood becuase all the plastic bayonet tabs on the hood are busted off rendering it unable to attach to the lens. But you can have it anyhow. Oh, and by the way, did I forget to mention the perfect glass has a very noticeable, (but rare),black spot on one of the internal elements close enough to center that it shows very nicely with perfect contrastfrom F4 all the way to F16? Use it withISO 3200, it will blend in with the rest of the noise. You may not enjoy this lens, but you cancount on notenjoying your wife asking why you didn't just loosen up andspend the extra $70 for a new one. Oops, make that an extra $88 because if your lucky enough to convince the seller tolet you return the lens, you can bet your last F stop that you'll be paying the freight both ways. Now, if you aren't so lucky to get an agreement on a return, your wife might let you buya new Pentax neck strap that she's gonna hang you with. Take confidence in knowing that this lens will remain in Like New condition, because you will hardly ever use it too."

This experience should cure my LBA for awhile.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 9:33 AM   #5

Ouch! Not sure that experience would cure my LBA much, but it would sure cure any desire I had to buy used lenses without either buying from a well-known, reliable source like keh, or without inspecting them closely first.

Good luck trying to sort it out - I think the freight would still be less than keeping the junker of a lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 11:36 AM   #6

Be sure and report the jerk so that he she or it will not continue to screw people with fake descriptions of equiptment.
I recently got a Kiron that had been messed up and put back together wrong but at least the glass is fine as is the rest of the lens if I can only get it together again so it works properly. If not I am only out 46 dollars so I guess I got over easy.
Good luck on getting your money returned.
Kenn
KennJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 8:43 PM   #7

I got good and immediate news, the seller is accepting the return and will refund all plus freight. They gave a sincere apology. After checking them out, they seem to buy and sell all brands of photo equipment, so Ibelieve that they checked the lens out quickly without trying the lens hood or doing a full aperature inspection. I'll be looking for a new one now.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:52 AM   #8

Glad to hear it worked out, I have had some purchases go wrong as well and usually the seller will help fix the problem.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 7:44 PM   #9

Sorry to learn you got your fingers burnt on ebay, but, a vigerous and well worded message seems to have pulled you out of the mire!

I got a Sigma 70-300 APO- DG lens for my daughter at an excellent price ( £109.00) $220 i guess, from One Stop Digital in Hong Kong. Super fast delivery by Fedex, (obviously Tom Hanks, 'Castaway' had left!) in three days and no extra charges from customs. Maybe I was lucky. The lens is a bit plasticy and slack compared with the series 1 vivitar, (which could double as a scaffold pole!)

I have just bought my first Pentax on ebay. To test the water after many years with a Nikormatt and antique 'F' film cameras i have started small, a 110 mini SLR.It was described as working order. Well.... it may have been 20 years ago! The lens was jammed, almost impossible to remove. The battery carrier broken, the topcase cracked and the flashdead. A moan to the seller got a " sorry if I had of knownI would have binned it" reply. anyway it only cost £11.00 soI spent an afternoon fixing it (except the flash). Ah, the joys (or frustrations) of ebay !!! SS
silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:13 PM   #10

Glad things worked out for you. I so far have gotten 2 things on Ebay that were not as advertised. A Tamron 70-300mm auto focus lens with a dead focus motor. Didn't complain to the seller at the time as I'd not gotten my K10D and the K1000 is not an autofocus camera. Tried the lens on the K10D the first day I recieved the camera and then started cussin'. Then I decided to try it manual focus and the cussin stopped. It is a great lens and I use manual focus more than auto focus anyway. Then there is the Gemini 80-200 P/KA lens......Had to strip some things off it and toss it as it was a fungus Typhoid Mary. This thing probably had every type of fungus possible to infect a camera lens. Wrapped it back up in it's packaging and tossed it in the garbage. Sold As Is so no return possible. Other than these my experience so far has been great on Ebay. Love the ease of finding the one lens that will ease my LBA for a day or two.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote