Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 23, 2007, 5:20 AM   #1

Hi all,

I like to try Creative Cookin P filter but their original filter is hard to find here. Meanwhile there are plenty of third party filters available on Ebay which advertise as replacement to the original. Most of them are made in China.
I like to know how these filter performance compare with their original. My intention is to get some grad filter & ND filter for exercise in Landscape photography.

Regard,
RTogog
rtogog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:43 AM   #2

rtogog wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

I like to try Creative Cookin P filter but their original filter is hard to find here. Meanwhile there are plenty of third party filters available on Ebay which advertise as replacement to the original. Most of them are made in China.
I like to know how these filter performance compare with their original. My intention is to get some grad filter & ND filter for exercise in Landscape photography.

Regard,
RTogog
There is no way to tell how good they are until you try one. I haveonly used the originals and they work great.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 8:03 PM   #3

Hi, I bought some of the original ones in the seventies (30 years ago !!) they were OK but were a bit of a fad at the time, being pushed in the photo mags. But, some of the half/half tinted oneswere useful.

I am a novice at this digital 'post proccesing' butI understand that it is very heavy into 'filters'? So why do you need to put a coloured bit of plastic in front, to potentially degrade the image ? In my hard up days A bit of nose grease on the lens used to work wonders as a soft focus dodge!:-) SS
silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 9:52 PM   #4

silversurfer wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I bought some of the original ones in the seventies (30 years ago !!) they were OK but were a bit of a fad at the time, being pushed in the photo mags. But, some of the half/half tinted oneswere useful.

I am a novice at this digital 'post proccesing' butI understand that it is very heavy into 'filters'? So why do you need to put a coloured bit of plastic in front, to potentially degrade the image ? In my hard up days A bit of nose grease on the lens used to work wonders as a soft focus dodge!:-) SS
Most of the pro's use a filter to change an unwanted condition or to enhance the photo before the image hits the sensor. You can post process till you are blue in the face but the image quality and look of say a Polorizing filter or the change caused by a skylite 1-a to a cloudy sky is very hard to duplicate in post processing. Can be done but it is harder to do. I have a Cokin filter holder for each and every size lens I own and keep them on most of the time. Since these are drop in filters it only takes a second to drop one in and get a significant difference in the photos that may not be dulicatable in photoshop. I have so many Plugin filters it makes me ashamed sometimes when I go to work on a photo most of this software is free ware or gifts from friends and family. But the Grad Gray Cokin filters and the Cokin polorizing and skylite filters help in outdoor and landscape shots so much that often other than sharpening and levels they need no post processing. As for image quality there is very little change in that but I still will remove those filters if I feel the need to get the best clarity. I don't really know why as I've shot photos with and without and side by side there was either no difference or only a little when you zoomed in to the pixel level. Also for me these are fun to play with and photos for me are fun not business.

Dawg

Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:57 AM   #5

Hi dawg, comprehensive guidance in your words. I must dig my oldCokins out again. I think the huge benefit with dgital is you can review the shot immediatly with/without filter. In my film camera you had to wait till the slides came back in the post, a week later.

As a greenhorn to 'Photoshop' or any other programme for that matter, I was not looking forward to messing for hours with 'filters' so adding the filterfirst is good news. The most useful add on for me was the poloriser, at the right angle it was nvaluable and rescued some liflelss sky shots. hope this is of help rtogog. SS
silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 12:28 PM   #6

silversurfer wrote:
Quote:
Hi dawg, comprehensive guidance in your words. I must dig my oldCokins out again. I think the huge benefit with dgital is you can review the shot immediatly with/without filter. In my film camera you had to wait till the slides came back in the post, a week later.

As a greenhorn to 'Photoshop' or any other programme for that matter, I was not looking forward to messing for hours with 'filters' so adding the filterfirst is good news. The most useful add on for me was the poloriser, at the right angle it was nvaluable and rescued some liflelss sky shots. hope this is of help rtogog. SS
You will not regret using them I assure you. Too many think that the crystal clear clean shiot is the best and doing so with out a filter is the only way. A bright cloudy sky can be conquered with a filter but not with out...I don't care how many Software filters you have. Just do it the old way with the filters and forget the software filters...It is an illuminating experience. And as you say you can do a quick review on the LCD and delete if you don't like them.. Free Film is the best advantage of DSLR's!!!

Dawg
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:32 PM   #7

Thank for kind response!

I started to think to use Cokin P filter after my lenses grow up. When I move to digital my entire lens only have filter thread 49 mm & 55 mm. I got 52 mm for kit lens DA 18-55 & DA 50-200 which have 52 mm filter thread, later 58, 72, 77 and 82 mm for telle & wide angle lenses.

I don't know when my LBA lens will stop in the future, so I have made "Cost Saving" to the associated accessories of the camera & lens. It will not practical also to use several filter on travel not for the weight but to many things to be handled carefully.

Regards,
RTogog
rtogog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 9:51 AM   #8

rtogog wrote:
Quote:
Thank for kind response!

I started to think to use Cokin P filter after my lenses grow up. When I move to digital my entire lens only have filter thread 49 mm & 55 mm. I got 52 mm for kit lens DA 18-55 & DA 50-200 which have 52 mm filter thread, later 58, 72, 77 and 82 mm for telle & wide angle lenses.

I don't know when my LBA lens will stop in the future, so I have made "Cost Saving" to the associated accessories of the camera & lens. It will not practical also to use several filter on travel not for the weight but to many things to be handled carefully.

Regards,
RTogog
The main reason I stayed with the Cokin filters is the reason you gave...Too many different sizes of lens. By using the cokin filter holder adapter rings you can get just 2 or 3 filters and use them on all your lens, by simply mounting the filter holder and dropping them in. The filter holder adapter rings are the only purchase you need to make when you change lens size.

Dawg