Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 23, 2007, 1:32 PM   #1

I've been trying to score a manual fast 50 for a while on ebay, not too hard mind you. Today I won a Sears Asahi k-mount, shipped for under $30 US so I figure it can't be too much of a loss if there's any problems. Looking at the image I see the lens says "AUTO SEARS MC" along with the 1:1.7 What's the auto for on these? It can't possiblly be autofocus, but there's an aperature ring on it so I don't think it's talking about the ap.

EDITED: Searching these forums more I think it'll be one of the auto-nothing lenses
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2007, 5:18 PM   #2

It usually means auto aperture. Usually can go from auto to manual but sometimes only auto. Sometimes it just means there is a coupling lever that will tell the camera where the aperture is for metering purposes. At other times it means you can set the aperture in camera and it will automatically stop down the Aperture when the shutter is released. The word Auto was bandied about quite freely at one time. You will know when you get it!! LOL

Sears, back in the day sold a lot of Pentax cameras and lens with their name on the goods.

Welcome to the Pig in a Poke world of EBAY!!! LOL Every day or so can be a surprise!!!

I got a 135mm Sears lens that is as sharp as any lens I own! You just never kbnow!!!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 6:19 PM   #3

Thanks, Dawg. I'm hoping it'll at least have an auto aperature function, but we'll see. I'm just happy as spit to be getting ANYTHING for low light.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 8:57 PM   #4

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, Dawg. I'm hoping it'll at least have an auto aperature function, but we'll see. I'm just happy as spit to be getting ANYTHING for low light.
I have and use 2 lens right now for low light shots. The Pentax 50mm f/2 M lens that was the kit lens for my K1000, and a Auto Takumar 55mm f/1.8 that a close friend recomended. Both can be found on Ebay for 20 dollars or less well they were anyway.... The 1.7's and especially the 1.4's are getting rediculous. Hope to see some photos with that lens the same day you get it...I know if I am getting a new lens it is tried as soon as the wrapping is off!! LOL

Dawg
Old Oct 4, 2007, 1:11 PM   #5

Now I'm depressed. Although I changed all my info at eBay it still fed the seller my old shipping info. He sent my 1.7 nice and quick.. but to North Carolina when I'm in CT. Don't know if I'll ever get the lens for test photos, now, Dawg Word of warning.. just because eBay has your address right in your shipping info double check all addresses. Apparantly 'Primary' can be applied to more than one address!!! I guess it's like lenses, we can all have more than one! (yes, I sent eBay a little 'feedback')

Sigh..
Old Oct 5, 2007, 6:49 AM   #6

CC, i'd not be diappointed with the lens. even if it's auto aperture it will be aperture coupled. all you do is set the ap ,compose the shot wide open and push the AE-L button or the green button to get an EV. most of my lenses are like this. i have no problem with it..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:26 AM   #7

Ahh, that's the trick! Hopefully I'll get it eventually (eBay of course blamed PayPal for the wrong shipping info. Guess they didn't know I never had that info for PayPal )

I've been trying to get my hands on an old Sears/JCPenney 135 2.8 which will undoubtedly need the same technique for getting meter readings, so your advice is killing 2 birds with a single stone, thanks very much!
Old Oct 5, 2007, 7:21 PM   #8

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Ahh, that's the trick! Hopefully I'll get it eventually (eBay of course blamed PayPal for the wrong shipping info. Guess they didn't know I never had that info for PayPal )

I've been trying to get my hands on an old Sears/JCPenney 135 2.8 which will undoubtedly need the same technique for getting meter readings, so your advice is killing 2 birds with a single stone, thanks very much!
Or just set the Aperture to the setting you want and then to a shutter setting that will give the best exposure....It's retro I know but I still love manual better...Ain't free film great!! LOL Also I have one of each of the 135mm lens yer a-lookin' fer and I must say the J.C. Penney one is some better but the Sears one is much lighter. I'd send you the Sears one but right now it is in 60+ pieces. I may not expend the effort to put it back together again....Never and I mean never take a lens apart any further than is absolutely needed to do the repair!!! Got a 200mm f/4 Super Tak that is the same way....any way my screw mount J.C Pneey La Sens.. Ish a bery berry goodt wan tue Git!!

Dawg

Attached Images

Old Oct 5, 2007, 8:08 PM   #9

Never and I mean never take a lens apart any further than is absolutely needed to do the repair!!!

Hehe! Now that's the kind of advice a man gives but another just won't listen to until it's too late! :-)

Well, I got the Sears Dawg, a 135 2.8 multi-coated M (m's are just small.. Miniature?), here's hoping it works good enough. Hey, less than 25 bucks shipped I can't complain, right? Now that you got that lens in pieces think you can convert it into a really long extention tube?

Old Oct 5, 2007, 9:07 PM   #10

I've thought of the extension tube but since I've got the Vivitar 105 macro lens they aren't needed that much. The Sears is very small for a 135mm lens...Reminds me of my 135mm Super Takumar lens. I used mine with the K1000 Pentax film camera for many many years with very good results. Mine was made in Korea and finally the aperture blades stuck...They used loads of grease to dampen the focus movement and I, being in Alabama, was unable to keep it cool enough to prevent the grease from finally flowing onto the blades....Keep it up-side down as much as possible as the blades are on the bottom.

Dawg

I finally got the focus right with the extension tube...Now to always remember to be on the other side of the camera when shooting macros!!!

Attached Images