Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:48 AM   #1

Does anyone have one of those? I was thinking about getting one to replace the kit lens. I'm not really good at using 18mm and 24mm at wide end would be fine for me. I've read few reviews and the only complaint I found was that lens hood was too small and some people had to send their copies to sigma due to soft images. But I'd like to know if anyone here has one and what's their opinion on this lens. I assume it's sharper than kit lens at around f4 but any owners opinions would be great

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:05 AM   #2

I heard it's good, but at the same price you could get the tamron 28-75 f 2.8, which is considered amazing.
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 1:00 PM   #3

I have the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 EX DG and it is a very sharp piece of glass that give an excellent photo. I'm not sure about the 24-70 but imagine it is of the same build and quality.
Kenn

KennJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 1:22 PM   #4

I looked at reviews of both lenses and both have some drawback. Sigma is said to be soft wide open but Tamron has some QC issues. I'd prefer softer lens wide open than problems with AF, and 24mm is better than 28mm. but I still would like to hear some of your opinions on this lens.

thanks

greg
Old Sep 24, 2007, 5:53 PM   #5

Although I never had the f2.8 version, I did have a "normal" 28-70 AF lens - the silver Pentax one, which would be great on a full frame camera, but is just too middle of the road for digital.

28mm is not wide enough and 70mm is not long enough.

But each to his own.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 8:16 PM   #6

I have the 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 Sigma and I find it is excellent (although it is not the constant aperture you seem to be looking for). There are only two issues, it is heavy (a 77mm filter size and lots of extension when zooming along with a metal lens barrel)which causes zoom creep when it pointed up or down, and secondly (and potentially more seriously) there have been many reports of issues with the electronics in the lens causing erratic behaviour on Pentax DSLRs. (I have observed that only once and a quick wipe of the electronic contacts with a clean lens cloth fixed it immediately) I have owned this lens for nearly two years and it is still my favourite lens for events such as weddings. 24mm is not quite as wide as I would like but 135mm is perfect at the other end. Image quality is nearly on par with my prime lenses with good colour and contrast. AF is internal so it is fairly fast inspite of the mass of the lens. There is also a very effective petal shaped hood included.

Tamron also makes a model with the same zoom range but it has a smaller maximum aperture (although it doesn't have any of the electronic issues the Sigma has).

Here is an image that shows its large size, the DL on the right has the 18-55mm kit lens while the DS on the left has the Sigma (zoomed to the wide end).

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:20 AM   #7

Ira: I was thinking of buying this lens but it seems it's discontiunued now and nobody sells them anymore, and I couldn't find any on ebay. I'm looking for fast zoom with 24mm wide angle, doesn't have to be constant aperture if it's still faster than kit lens at tele end. I still have to do some research.

thanks

greg
Old Sep 26, 2007, 7:59 AM   #8

Hi,

I went with the Petax 28-70mm f4. It is not as fast as the ones you were looking at, But it is a great lens. It got mine from KEH. I have seen them on eBay for around $100.00

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:26 AM   #9

I have the Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 EX. This lens is on my camera 80% of the time and is a great walk around lens. I haven't notice any problem with it being too soft open wide and I shoot open wide a lot when I use it indoors.

The only thing that I don't like about the lens is that it is pretty big and heavy. I am a big guy myself, 6 foot and 270lbs. The first few weeks using the lens really brothered me because I don't think I can ever carry something like this for a whole day. But I guess I got used to it and it does not brother me anymore.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote