Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:55 AM   #1

Bought it and now wonder if I should have waited for the APO!! ??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=019
Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2007, 3:10 PM   #2

At that price Dawg you can't go wrong. I have to say I've been very impressed by some of the APO images I've seen here, but only time will tell
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 6:27 PM   #3

To be honest, my Sigma 70-300mm is the standard one, not the APO.

I keep saying I will buy the APO, but....I have not seen anything which really blows my mind enough to warrant changing!

Most comes from the photographer, not all from the lens.

Plus, the price - $62 is about £30. Can't get anything useful for that over here. Well some bargins, but as good as yours!

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:24 AM   #4

Thanks Guys...I had second thoughts the moment after bidding...Then I said to myself ..Don't worry someone will out bid you....They didn't... and then I had third thoughts...I won't say what they were but It had to do with my intellegence quotion or seeming lack there of!! You've somewhat eased my mind....Oh yeah I read where the non APO out did the APO at about 200mm but the APO was better at the extremes of wide and zoom. We will see.

Dawg
Old Sep 26, 2007, 1:59 AM   #5

Hi Dawg,

A Sigma 100-300 f4.5-6.7? I've never seen anything about this lens, but since you've already won it, The description says that it has SLD elements (they're pretty much the same as APO). It looks to be pretty compact, and focuses to 6+ feet -- a bit slow on the long end, but possibly pretty impressive. I'll be looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:17 AM   #6

I had the Quantaray rebadge of this lens that I picked up at Ritz for $67 new. It was by far the best deal I have ever gotten on a lens (except the box of 17 lenses for $110 that included a $275 Minolta lens). You should be happy with it Dawg. To me, it was definately a sleeper.

Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:48 AM   #7

Hi Dawg,

I had the Sigma 100-300mm. It was a daylight lens for sure. I sent mine back for a refund and got the 70-300 Sigma (but it was the standard version). Indoors the lens would hunt for focus, But outdoors it was fine. Mine was for a Canon, Not a Pentax...

I have found since I switched to Pentax from Canon that any of the lenses that had trouble on the Canon worked just fine on a Pentax.... Superior camera???? You bet!!!

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:28 AM   #8

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg,

A Sigma 100-300 f4.5-6.7? I've never seen anything about this lens, but since you've already won it, The description says that it has SLD elements (they're pretty much the same as APO). It looks to be pretty compact, and focuses to 6+ feet -- a bit slow on the long end, but possibly pretty impressive. I'll be looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Scott
Thanks Scott...This is to replace my Tammy 70-300 as the focus motor went south and I really didn't want to send it for repair. I'll post some photos with it as soon as I can.

Dawg
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:30 AM   #9

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
I had the Quantaray rebadge of this lens that I picked up at Ritz for $67 new. It was by far the best deal I have ever gotten on a lens (except the box of 17 lenses for $110 that included a $275 Minolta lens). You should be happy with it Dawg. To me, it was definately a sleeper.

Nick
Thanks INN. I feel much better about it now...Funny how we can become so nervous over a lens and a charging bull would be laugh time...Jus' call me nervous Nellie!! LOL

Dawg
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:33 AM   #10

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg,

I had the Sigma 100-300mm. It was a daylight lens for sure. I sent mine back for a refund and got the 70-300 Sigma (but it was the standard version). Indoors the lens would hunt for focus, But outdoors it was fine. Mine was for a Canon, Not a Pentax...

I have found since I switched to Pentax from Canon that any of the lenses that had trouble on the Canon worked just fine on a Pentax.... Superior camera???? You bet!!!

Rudy
Thanks Rudy...I plan on using it out doors anyway. Only one thing I can say to someone that lives on the UP....Don't loose your long Johns!! LOL

Dawg