Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 26, 2007, 4:53 PM   #1

fellow pentaxians, I just sold my k100d and now I have the big doubt:

Do I get a k10d for 650$ new ( 699 at abe's of maine and 50$ rebate ), or do I get a used canon 30d for 700$?

My doubt comes for hearing that the k10d pictures output and noise control are not really on same level as canon.... and it could be even worse than the 100d.

So plz, convince me to stay pentax=

Lando
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:52 PM   #2

When someone asks a question like that I get the impression that they will not be happy until they have satisfied their doubts. If it is reports and tests that you have faith in, then get the Canon. This is no longer an issue of camera choice but one of perception and confidence, if you perceive the Canon to be a better product then you will have no confidence in the Pentax. I cannot convince you otherwise.

Personally I don't think the Canon is so good that you should pay as much for a used example as you would for a new Pentax, but that is only my perception.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:53 PM   #3

I can't afford Canon glass - one of the reasons I bought the DS in the first place (started off using my old film lenses). There's no doubt that the Canon is a fine camera, and they offer cameras (for a big price) that are better for sports. They have really pro quality lenses, for pro quality prices ($2,000 for a lens - I nearly died paying over $800 for the DA*50-135). I've gotten quite spoiled by having a couple of really nice lenses - any lens from now on is going to be the best I can afford and with C*n - I can't afford what I would want.

Used cameras can work out well, but you are taking a chance that it won't. Make sure you check it out well before you buy to make sure that it really is in top condition.

As far as being worse than the K100 - I own both the K100 and the K10. At 1600 ISO I notice more noise with the K10. Otherwise I use the two cameras interchangeably and notice no particular image quality difference (and I wish I had taken some recent macros with the K10 becauseI sure would have liked the extra megapixels for cropping). I DO see a big difference between some of my lenses - but it doesn't matter which camera they are on. You are welcome to look at my posts over the past year and see what this not-so-good amateur has gotten out of the K10 - or for that matter, Scott's birding pictures, or Roger's wildlife pictures with Bigma etc. If you don't like the quality of them, then your question is answered - buy the 30d.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:38 AM   #4

Lando wrote:
Quote:
fellow pentaxians, I just sold my k100d and now I have the big doubt:

Do I get a k10d for 650$ new ( 699 at abe's of maine and 50$ rebate ), or do I get a used canon 30d for 700$?

My doubt comes for hearing that the k10d pictures output and noise control are not really on same level as canon.... and it could be even worse than the 100d.

So plz, convince me to stay pentax=

Lando

Lando,

Here is my input:

If you still have some Pentax lens, check out the price of the equivalent I S (Canon) lens their picture quality. Pbase.com has quite a few sample shots of all the lens almost.

If you are a average photographer and you hardly do any wildlife or telephoto works , go with Pentax which gives you excellent, of the top, bang for the buck.

But if you are a serious wildlife shooter, then you really have to think about going Canon's way as their tele , though not cheap, is easier to find. And at time they may even be cheaper than the comparable Pentax tele - the latter of which needs you to jump hoop to find.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 7:52 AM   #5
TDN

There's one big thing you should consider too:

Do you want to use manual focus lenses? They are cheaper and let you experiment with different focal lengths without the big $$$...

With Pentax, you can use both K mount and M42, and have full metering with all of them.
With Canon, you can use more mounts (with different adapters), but you have no metering.

It all depends on what you like best...

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote