Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 29, 2007, 9:46 PM   #1

I bought this lens off e-bay earlier this week, banking on the Series 1 name even though I couldn't find any specs on its manufacture. It is obviously one of the later Series 1 lenses, and its serial number reveals a Cosina manufacture. Thus, my expectations were not unlimited by any means. I thought, though, the 28-210 focal length range would be a good daylight walkaround for when I didn't want to, or couldn't, take my whole kit.

I was pleased, though, with my first couple of shots.

f8 at 210mm....1/1000...ISO 400

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:49 PM   #2

They are colorful!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:02 PM   #3

Very nice pictures - looks like its worth hanging on to and will do what you want. I especially like the second one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:35 PM   #4

great color and contrast.
don't put cosina down. i mean, they are making the current Carl Zeiss lenses as well. they build to spec of the design. just because they produce cheap below par glass for one name does not mean they can't produce some of the finest glass available..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:32 PM   #5

Oh, don't get me wrong, Roy. I couldn't be more pleased with either of the Series 1 lenses I have that are made by Cosina. The reason I made the comment I did is that I have read so many reviews panning the job Cosina did with the 70-210 MF Series 1 f2.8-4.0 macro zoom. Mine is the sharpest lens I own, so I thought the 28-210 AF f4.2-6.5 Series 1 would be a good risk even though I couldn't find any info specifically about this lens. I am far from disappointed, especially for well less than a hundred bucks.

Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:15 AM   #6

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, Roy. I couldn't be more pleased with either of the Series 1 lenses I have that are made by Cosina. The reason I made the comment I did is that I have read so many reviews panning the job Cosina did with the 70-210 MF Series 1 f2.8-4.0 macro zoom. Mine is the sharpest lens I own, so I thought the 28-210 AF f4.2-6.5 Series 1 would be a good risk even though I couldn't find any info specifically about this lens. I am far from disappointed, especially for well less than a hundred bucks.

For me the Series 1 Vivitars are the sharpest I own as they also are the sharpest I can afford right now....Think now....If your Cosina made Ser.1 is that sharp how sharp are the Komine and Kiron versions? I don't have a Cosina to try out but I often wonder if it is just Brand snobbery or the truth that the Cosina's are not as good. So far from what I've seen there is little difference. A question ....does your lens have the Vivitar Logo formed into the Rubber Zoom-Focus grip?

Dawg
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:13 PM   #7

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Think now....If your Cosina made Ser.1 is that sharp how sharp are the Komine and Kiron versions? I don't have a Cosina to try out but I often wonder if it is just Brand snobbery or the truth that the Cosina's are not as good. So far from what I've seen there is little difference. A question ....does your lens have the Vivitar Logo formed into the Rubber Zoom-Focus grip?

Yes, mine has the logo formed into the grip. I've had that same thought as you about how sharp the Komine and Kiron versions must be, considering how sharp the one I have is.

Old Oct 2, 2007, 9:33 AM   #8

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Think now....If your Cosina made Ser.1 is that sharp how sharp are the Komine and Kiron versions? I don't have a Cosina to try out but I often wonder if it is just Brand snobbery or the truth that the Cosina's are not as good. So far from what I've seen there is little difference. A question ....does your lens have the Vivitar Logo formed into the Rubber Zoom-Focus grip?

Yes, mine has the logo formed into the grip. I've had that same thought as you about how sharp the Komine and Kiron versions must be, considering how sharp the one I have is.
According to this site....

Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Macro Zooms - Mark Roberts Photography

Note 5: The Cosina-made 4th version of this lens has apparently been made with both 58mm and 62mm filter threads. The 62mm version is the more recent and is still sometimes found new, usually on eBay auctions. Exercise caution if you consider buying one of these lenses without seeing it: Some sellers would like you to confuse the 62mm v4 with the much-sought-after version 3 (Komine). The undesirable versions of this lens are the ones that have "Vivitar" molded into the focus/zoom grip.
The 62mm "version 4" may even be a different design entirely. I'm currently looking into this possibility and if it proves to be the case it will be added to the table as "version 6". The first three versions are the ones sought for their optical quality.
I don't have the Cosina built version 4 but am looking at getting one now that I've seen the photos from yours. I'm trying right now to get an example of each version and this one can be bought rather reasonably on Ebay. The one I'm having trouble finding is the version 3 Komine lens in P/KA mount.

Also looking for a Perkin Elmer version with the 44 serieal no.
Dawg

Old Oct 2, 2007, 7:49 PM   #9

Yeah, I had read the same thing on the Mark Roberts site. The earlier pictures in this thread, however, were not taken with the 70-210 Series 1 macro zoom. They were taken with the 28-210 AF Series 1zoom, the newest lens I've gotten.

Here are a couple I took with the 70-210, version 4 (or 6 as Mark tentatively calls it)

Just for the sake of clarification
Old Oct 3, 2007, 1:59 AM   #10

Nuthin' wrong with either of those two lens... Excellant photos!!!!

Dawg