Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:00 AM   #1

After several weeks of trying to decide how to replace my 18-55/50-200 combo I finally settled on the 18-250 for my K100 and I thought I'd share some pics of our visit to northern Maine this weekend. I also brought along my newfisheye so there's a coupleof those mixed in. I'm very much an amateurbut I know a lot of people are interested in this lens so I'm happy to post some examples (advice is appreciated!!). I was very hesitant to replace the 50-200 (I was also seriously considering the Sigma 17-70) but after this weekend I'm very happy with my purchase.

We stayed at my parents camp and I thought this was an interesting shot early in the morning from inside the camp with the windows still fogged up.

Our Shih Tzu...

JeanneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2007, 6:50 PM   #2

jeanne,
very nice. lens has good color and contrast. i'd like to see some shots wide open, no PP, at 18, 50, 135, 180,and 250mm. just test shots of the same scene would work and resize them to 900pixels, 72dpi

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 12:06 AM   #3

I can see why you are happy with this lens (and the fisheye looks like fun, too). It provides nice pictures outdoors - is the first one wide open? Exif says f4 and I love the shot (not something I would have thought of taking and it works so well!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:54 PM   #4

I didn't realise that Tamron had released the 18-250mm in the Pentax fit; I've been eagerly waiting for this to happen in the UK.

I notice that Pentax have released it under their banner - cosmetically, it looks good although I don't suppose that optically it will be any different.

Update: Yep it's now available between £299 & £350.

Might just wait to see if the Pentax version is attractively priced otherwise the Tamrom would be the better choice.

IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 9:32 AM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
is the first one wide open? Exif says f4 and I love the shot (not something I would have thought of taking and it works so well!).

mtngal, glad you enjoyed it and I'm still learning the photography lingo but I think you mean by asking if it was taken wide open was it at it's widest available aperture at the focal length I took the picture? If so, then yes (f/4 at 33mm).

Roy -It's been a hectic week but I'm headed off to Boston with my daughter tomorrow for a couple of dayssoI should havea chance to take the test shots that you requested.

Of course, several days after I purchased the Tamron the Pentax version was announced (supposedly the rebadged Tamron) but I'm not disappointed. I have the 6-yr Tamron warranty and I was able to use it up north last weekend and I'll be able to use it this weekend in Boston, which I wouldn't have been able to do if I had to wait for the Pentax. One of my primary reasons for getting this lens is because I wanted to replace my 18-55/50-200 combo with more of a walkaround lens and this lens will be perfect to use in Boston this weekend (and I'll be bringing along my fisheye and the 50mm for a few shots).:-)
JeanneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 7:53 PM   #6

JeanneB wrote:
Quote:
mtngal wrote:
Quote:
is the first one wide open? Exif says f4 and I love the shot (not something I would have thought of taking and it works so well!).

mtngal, glad you enjoyed it and I'm still learning the photography lingo but I think you mean by asking if it was taken wide open was it at it's widest available aperture at the focal length I took the picture? If so, then yes (f/4 at 33mm).

Roy -It's been a hectic week but I'm headed off to Boston with my daughter tomorrow for a couple of dayssoI should havea chance to take the test shots that you requested.

Of course, several days after I purchased the Tamron the Pentax version was announced (supposedly the rebadged Tamron) but I'm not disappointed. I have the 6-yr Tamron warranty and I was able to use it up north last weekend and I'll be able to use it this weekend in Boston, which I wouldn't have been able to do if I had to wait for the Pentax. One of my primary reasons for getting this lens is because I wanted to replace my 18-55/50-200 combo with more of a walkaround lens and this lens will be perfect to use in Boston this weekend (and I'll be bringing along my fisheye and the 50mm for a few shots).:-)
Sounds like a very good zoom range as it covers the most used focal lengths. Color looks delicious Coming from the Kodak camp I have to say these photos look as good as Kodak color!! Well saturated and rich!! Beautiful country there too!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote