Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 1, 2007, 5:31 PM   #1

Well it is offical now, Pentax's new zoom lens is out of the bag. Pentax just offically annouced there new toy. They sneaked this one in because it was not in the Pentax roadmap.

Pentax smc P-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL(IF)
http://www.pentaximaging.com/footer/...cleId=10271204
http://www.pentaximaging.com/product...ital_35mm_zoom

What do you think about this lens?

I think this is a good move for Pentax to bring out this lens. I know it is not one of there high quality glass, but it is something for the average beginner to start out with. I hope this will move will help Pentax sell more camera and gain more profit.

It would of been nice if this lens was SDM, but it is not. I don't think I would buy this lens anytime soon, it really depends on how much it will cost. Retail, they listed this to be under $500. I think you can pick this lens up for about $399. If it ever drops to $300 or so, I might pick one up for that "all around" lens.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2007, 5:55 PM   #2

the same tokina model has been out for 2 or 3 weeks now. from what i've seen of it pentax/tokina have doe a good job on a super zoom.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 5:57 PM   #3

ck out jeanne's thread right above/below this one.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:16 PM   #4

I didn't realize that Tokina had made an 18-250 also - thought it was just Tamron that made it at this point (goes to show what I know).

I think it's not a bad move as so many p&s people want a one-lens-does-it-all solution. If I were going on a 3 week walking trip somewhere I'd be interested, but otherwise, I'll stick to my current collection.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:39 PM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I didn't realize that Tokina had made an 18-250 also - thought it was just Tamron that made it at this point (goes to show what I know).

I think it's not a bad move as so many p&s people want a one-lens-does-it-all solution. If I were going on a 3 week walking trip somewhere I'd be interested, but otherwise, I'll stick to my current collection.
I don't think Tokina ever made a 18-250mm lens. I am sure robar ment to say Tamron instead of Tokina. Since he was referring to jeanne's post, she has the Tamron 18-250mm.

I you can buy the Pentax version for cheaper then what they list for. I would rather go for the Tamron version if they are the same price because Tamron gives you 6 years warranty vs the standard Pentax 1 year.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:46 AM   #6

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
Since he was referring to jeanne's post, she has the Tamron 18-250mm.
thanks, i stand corrected. anyway i've seen some great shots from it and am still interested in the wide open shots.

roy
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:18 AM   #7

This is just speculation, but since the current kit lens - the 18-55 is thought of so well, might this be the new kit lens? With a broad range across both the 18-55 and the 50-200, offering this as the initial kit, might move beginners up to the dual lens set and then maybe on to their new set of f2.8 lenses...

... also, if this were to be the new kit, then the K100D kit would really compete with the superzoom offerings from Canon, etc. with a 14x lens all in a single package with all the bells and whistles.....

Just thinking outloud...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:49 PM   #8

Wouldn't a 250 mm be 4.5x and a 14x be a 2800 mm?
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 7:59 PM   #9

sgarthee wrote:
Quote:
Wouldn't a 250 mm be 4.5x and a 14x be a 2800 mm?
Zoom ratio and magnification are two different things. An 18-250mm zoom has a zoom ratio of 14X (13.88... actually). That is because 250/18=14. You divide the longest focal length by the shortest to get the ratio. This is the value advertised for all of the "super zoom" p&s cameras. My 100-300mm is a 3X zoom, my 24-135mm is a 5.6X zoom etc..

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 9:16 PM   #10

SWEET! :-)

Hope the price falls a little though. Isn't the sigma closer to $400?
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote