Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 7, 2007, 12:33 AM   #1

Hey all,
I am getting my K10D next week and I came across a deal on some lenses. I can get a SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm and an Albinar ADG MC Auto Zoom 1:3.9 F=80-200mm for $50. What do you all think?
Scott14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2007, 1:59 AM   #2

The Pentax M 50mm f2 lens isn't the best Pentax 50mm lens out there - some say it's a bit softer than the 1.7. However, it's not a bad lens at all and several people around here have good results with theirs. Remember that M lenses are manual lenses so it's manual focus and you'll have to set the aperture on the lens rather than on the camera (ask if you aren't sure how manual lenses work on the dSLRs).

I'd be really cautious about the Albinar. I'd never heard of it so I googled it - from what little I read, it was a cheap lens (though from the sounds of it, the 80-200 was better than their other lenses). I also ran across a story of someone who bought a different Albinar lens and found out too late that it was a Ricoh lens mount and got stuck on their dSLR (even a camera shop couldn't get it off). It doesn't sound like it would be worth messing with - I think you could do much better with a Kiron 80-200 in good condition (check the aperture blades before buying).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 2:12 AM   #3

Scott...The 50mm is alright but the Albinar may not be....You can find Vivitar 80-200 and 75-205 lens all day long on Ebay and they will be much superior to that Albinar. I have a 50mm M and it does just fine but I also have the Kit lens that will do almost as well at 50mm. Get a faster and Auto focus lens if you can and be a lot happier in the end.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:08 AM   #4

I'd say bide your time. The kit 18-55 may not be the fastest, but it's dirt cheap and covers a nice range while you're scouting for lenses. If you're really willing to start your K10D off with manual lenses there's plenty to choose from, and many have a better rep than Albinar.

Congrats on the K10D!
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:48 AM   #5

I agree with all your comments so far. I plan on gettting the pentax 50mm 1.4, the kit lense, and either the sigma apo 70-300mm or waiting for the new pentax 18-250mm. I just thought for $50 bucks these lenses might be fun to play around with. I fully understand the manual side of these lenses. I think that having a 200mm 2.8 lense might be handy. I also already have a P-A Zoom 35-80mm F4.0-5.6 that I had on my k1000 back in highschool.
Scott14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:45 AM   #6

Oh, oh. You already have LBA, I see! You'll fit right in with all of us - now you'll have to post some pictures as soon as you get your camera. If you could get the two lenses for around $20-30 total, and you wanted to try your hand athacksawingoff the extra-long flange on the Albinar lens, then it would be worth doing. You'd have the chance for a do-it-yourself project and the 50mm to play with while you wait for the lens budget to increase enough to purchase the other lenses. There's nothing that says you can't have more than one lens that's similar, is there?

I agree with you that the 200mm 2.8 would certainly be nice, but the problem is can you find one or afford it when you do find it?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 2:58 PM   #7

Scott14 wrote:
Quote:
I agree with all your comments so far. I plan on gettting the pentax 50mm 1.4, the kit lense, and either the sigma apo 70-300mm or waiting for the new pentax 18-250mm. I just thought for $50 bucks these lenses might be fun to play around with. I fully understand the manual side of these lenses. I think that having a 200mm 2.8 lense might be handy. I also already have a P-A Zoom 35-80mm F4.0-5.6 that I had on my k1000 back in highschool.
Play away...I do..LOL Ya never know what you might wind up with...Some of my cheapest lens are my best!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote