Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:12 AM   #11

Hi guys, back but not anymore pentaxian, I had a good deal to sell my pentax stuff and I got the Canon 30d.

I got also the sigma 24-60 f 2.8, mostly for the price ( around 230$ new too ), because the reviews are very good.

What is often said is that some copies which appears soft, are suffering instead of problems of front-back focus. So the picture would not be soft, but just out of focus.

From what I know if u send the lens ( assuming it will have problems, let's hope not ) to sigma they will calibrate it on ur brand/model of camera.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, hopefully by friday 19 I will be give u a better idea.

BTW: This is still the nicest photo forum, still have to find another where people are always ready to give help and suggestions, without offending the newcomers who know less.
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:48 PM   #12

Lando wrote:
Quote:
Hi guys, back but not anymore pentaxian, I had a good deal to sell my pentax stuff and I got the Canon 30d.

I got also the sigma 24-60 f 2.8, mostly for the price ( around 230$ new too ), because the reviews are very good.

What is often said is that some copies which appears soft, are suffering instead of problems of front-back focus. So the picture would not be soft, but just out of focus.

From what I know if u send the lens ( assuming it will have problems, let's hope not ) to sigma they will calibrate it on ur brand/model of camera.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, hopefully by friday 19 I will be give u a better idea.

BTW: This is still the nicest photo forum, still have to find another where people are always ready to give help and suggestions, without offending the newcomers who know less.
Lando & TC,

See the new thread re my 1 st hr test of the lens compared with F50mmF1.7 & FA28mmF2.8. I now know its Canon mounts had issue with Canon in 2001. I have no clue if that has been sorted out. I would not have got this zoom if not for the 10 yr warranty and the proximity of a Sigma Centre (10 minutes drive from me). I need that as a walk around rather than a serious lens

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 8:20 AM   #13

Regarding my comment above about the Sigma lens, I contacted the Canadian distributor for Sigma and got a very friendly reply that the lens is likely "malfunctioning." It has a 10-year Cdn warranty, so they asked me to ship it back.

Rich
Pastor Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 1:58 PM   #14

Hi guys, I finally received my 30d and the 24-60. I have to say that it seems a very good lens.

The construction is at very good level, on my camera if focuses very fast.
It seems also quite sharp, but I have to make some more deep experiments.

Only problem, it's a little short, I'm wondering if the tamron 28-75 could be more useful.... I may consider selling the sigma if I can make enough to get the tamron..
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote