Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:24 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,890
Default

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SIGMA-EX-24-60mm-...QQcmdZViewItem

Just bought it at Henry ebay site $259 whereas B&H lists it at $399. Likely a soon to be phased out item.

One advice to most people: do not surf on any ebay items unless you have the need - I just do not have the need!!!!! I have FA28mm 2.8 and F50mm 1.7. I have absolute zero need of it

Hope it is ok. Did not even do any research


Daniel, Toronto
http://www.pbase.com/danieltong

p.s. Checked it after the fact (purchase). Seems to be ok on paper according to Popphoto. But it cannot match FA28mm and F50mm. Another impulse buying
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2007, 3:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
NonEntity1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake Placid Florida USA
Posts: 2,689
Default

It could have been worse Daniel, this one* went for $275 from Cameta this past week. I am interested in your thoughts once you have had a chance to use it; I had an early (much lower) bid on this one but as you mentioned, I did not really "need" it.

Tim

*http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160163707291
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 3:57 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
KennJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 166
Default

All I know is the EX Sigma lenses are very well built and have good glass as far as I have found from the ones I own. I don't own that particular one but do have the 28-70mm f2.8 EX DG and it is a fast ,sharp lens with good color rendition.So...
Enjoy the lens!
Kenn
KennJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 5:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,890
Default

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
It could have been worse Daniel, this one* went for $275 from Cameta this past week.* I am interested in your thoughts once you have had a chance to use it; I had an early (much lower) bid on this one but as you mentioned, I did not really "need" it.

Tim

*http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160163707291
wow $275 after 38 bids.
I had one at $259 within Canadian area which is usu 10% higher than that of U S. As I said , it is ok on paper. Let us wait and see. The only trouble is that I may be spoilt by both FA28mm and F50mm . What triggered this was my thought of finding some odd Pentax lens that may slip through the ebay search. Usually I search say Pentax 400mm if I am looking at 400mm. So this time I changed that to just 'Pentax lens'. That was it until I hit this very odd lens which otherwise would not be seen by me. And zero bid after 4 days with starting bid at $220!!!!!
Apparently its Canon and Nikon mounts are more commonly available which is what PopPhoto looked at. What is expected is that it is x notch below that of FA28mm or F50mm. But the question is how much is that x ? And will I take that x notch below for the sake of the convenience of a zoom.
Sample difference could be an issue too. It is new from Henry and with 10 yrs warranty from Sigma, I went ahead without researching at all.
24-60mm ! Get to be used to the FoV. Very convenient/useful indeed again on paper

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 7:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
It could have been worse Daniel, this one* went for $275 from Cameta this past week. I am interested in your thoughts once you have had a chance to use it; I had an early (much lower) bid on this one but as you mentioned, I did not really "need" it.

Tim

*http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160163707291
wow $275 after 38 bids.
I had one at $259 within Canadian area which is usu 10% higher than that of U S. As I said , it is ok on paper. Let us wait and see. The only trouble is that I may be spoilt by both FA28mm and F50mm . What triggered this was my thought of finding some odd Pentax lens that may slip through the ebay search. Usually I search say Pentax 400mm if I am looking at 400mm. So this time I changed that to just 'Pentax lens'. That was it until I hit this very odd lens which otherwise would not be seen by me. And zero bid after 4 days with starting bid at $220!!!!!
Apparently its Canon and Nikon mounts are more commonly available which is what PopPhoto looked at. What is expected is that it is x notch below that of FA28mm or F50mm. But the question is how much is that x ? And will I take that x notch below for the sake of the convenience of a zoom.
Sample difference could be an issue too. It is new from Henry and with 10 yrs warranty from Sigma, I went ahead without researching at all.
24-60mm ! Get to be used to the FoV. Very convenient/useful indeed again on paper

Daniel, Toronto
I'm not buying the quality yet as you do Daniel..I'm working my up to it..LOL But I did something close to the same...I bought a 70-150mm Vivitar lens just for the uniqueness of it and the fact it was made by Kino Precision (Kiron). I probably won't use it a lot as the 70-210mm lenses I have cover the same territory but it is a semi unusual lens. Ah well we do go nuts sometime...One thing though ...Your's will resell faster than mine..LOL
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=010

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:08 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,890
Default

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
'm not buying the quality yet as you do Daniel..I'm working my up to it..LOL But I did something close to the same...
Well the cost is just around 1/3 of a DA* zoom not to mention the FA* ones

It will be fun to see how the Sigma EX zoom comparing with my F50mm & FA28mm .


3 weeks ago I drove from DC back to Toronto via NJ . Took some tourist snap shots with FA28mm at Princeton









Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:30 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

Hey...Those ARE nice ones...I'm not into buildings and "Urban" landscapers yet BUT am planning to start tomorrow as I will be visiting the Smoky mountains and the grand tourist trap of Gatlinburg Tenn. Lots to shoot in town and this year that is sort of where I'd like to do my shooting!
Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 9:24 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 83
Default

Well, I just bought this lens last week from Henrys on eBay as well as a K10D.

The lens stinks at anything below F5.6, and at F2.8 it is so soft that I thought the focus was off. A waste of money.

Regards, Rich
Pastor Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 1:12 PM   #9
TC3
Senior Member
 
TC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,169
Default

Pastor Rich wrote:
Quote:
Well, I just bought this lens last week from Henrys on eBay as well as a K10D.

The lens stinks at anything below F5.6, and at F2.8 it is so soft that I thought the focus was off. A waste of money.

Regards, Rich
A friend with a Nikon returned the same lens as it was pretty useless and he exchanged for a Tamron 28-75 which he says is brilliant in comparision
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 5:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,890
Default

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
Pastor Rich wrote:
Quote:
Well, I just bought this lens last week from Henrys on eBay as well as a K10D.

The lens stinks at anything below F5.6, and at F2.8 it is so soft that I thought the focus was off.* A waste of money.

Regards, Rich
A friend with a Nikon returned the same lens as it was pretty useless and he exchanged for a Tamron 28-75 which he says is brilliant in comparision
Two negatives at least as shown above. I think Sigma has some QC issue. I did not expect much given it is only 1/3 of the value of DA*. I will be using that for indoor party shots and 24-60mm is very convenient indeed. I will be testing that at 28mm and 50mm (as I have the prime) at F4 & F8. Wow let us wait

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:08 AM.