Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:38 AM   #11

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Hey Roy, I almost won the dog one (not to be confused with Dawg) and from most of what I read afterwards as long as it doesn't say Bayonet on it it should be the multi-coated lens. The acid test is looking at a bright scene/sun and seeing if it picks up a ton of flare.

Fortunately I was outbid
"Arf, Arf"......After closer examination, I have a feeling I was the one who outbid you CyberCoyote because it appears I'm the one who got the "dog" version of the lens. The paperwork on the lens that was in the box indicates the SMC 58mm version, but it, in fact, is the "other version."

That being said, I put the lens to its first test tonight, and I have to say that I'm very pleased. My primary usage for the lens is under stadium lights. What I got tonigt was a definite step up from my 135mm f2.8. Shots were sharp, and no hint of serious IQ problems. Judge for yourself.

I should point out that I didn't take these shots. Because I'm the stadium PA announcer, I use one of a small group of student photographers to shoot when I'm behind the mic. However, I was very pleased with the responsiveness and crispness of the lens under difficult conditions.

I may have gotten the dog, but so far the bark has been music to my ears considering the battle I have to get light.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 7:10 PM   #12

Uh-oh, who's the dog now?

I picked up a regular old Sears 135 2.8, the seller wasn't sure what they had, said there was an 'M' on the lens. It's not an M lens, it's a screw mount with a switch for A or M, for aperature I suppose.

Heck, I think it's a screw mount, I had to unscrew the rear lens cap from it. Guess I'll find an adapter and see if she works. Two lenses now I've ebayed, this I can't use yet, the other got shipped to the wrong state That lens you picked up looks fine to me Trojansoc, I'd say I'm the Dog
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 4:01 AM   #13

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Uh-oh, who's the dog now?

I picked up a regular old Sears 135 2.8, the seller wasn't sure what they had, said there was an 'M' on the lens. It's not an M lens, it's a screw mount with a switch for A or M, for aperature I suppose.

Heck, I think it's a screw mount, I had to unscrew the rear lens cap from it. Guess I'll find an adapter and see if she works. Two lenses now I've ebayed, this I can't use yet, the other got shipped to the wrong state That lens you picked up looks fine to me Trojansoc, I'd say I'm the Dog
Hi CC,
Sounds as if you have a winner ... here's a pic of a Chinon 135_2.8 M42 fit camera end ... if it looks like this you can use it with an adapter. ... Jack.
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 4:09 AM   #14

CC,
This is the adaptor you need .. This one allows infinity focus, if you see one with a front flange that covers the lens contacts on the body it wont. The small tool with it fits the side slots and turns and locks the ring into the camera body, Note the locking spring in the left slot. The tool also helps to remove the ring when not required. Switch the lens to manual aperture ... focus wide open and stop down manually as needed, before you shoot. ... Jack
Attached Images

Old Oct 14, 2007, 4:14 AM   #15

Forgot to add ... being a prime lens you should get excellent results dependent on the quality of the lens itself. Hope you have a good one. ... J
Old Oct 14, 2007, 7:26 AM   #16

Thanks for the image of the adapter, jachol, I would have gotten the wrong one. I'm good like that. My PC died this weekend after 5 years of service (fried mobo, old parts) so I bought a new PC which of course uses the wrong connections (adaptor) for my old hard drives so now I can't access all my old data. (most of my pentax images are backed up on DVD.

Time to eBay.

CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 7:41 AM   #17

OK CC,
Glad that helps ... Just in case here's a flanged one. I will say that that this type is much easier to fit and remove, so it's more convenient in cases where Infinity focus isn't a problem. Sorry to hear about the PC going belly up ... Jack
Attached Images

Old Oct 14, 2007, 7:47 AM   #18

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the image of the adapter, jachol, I would have gotten the wrong one. I'm good like that. My PC died this weekend after 5 years of service (fried mobo, old parts) so I bought a new PC which of course uses the wrong connections (adaptor) for my old hard drives so now I can't access all my old data. (most of my pentax images are backed up on DVD.

Time to eBay.

CC,
Just a thought re. your old HDDs from the duff PC, how about an external case to fit them in, and connect via USB ... make sure you get USB 2 device though for the better speed. I use one here for back-ups ... it's brilliant. ... Jack
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:00 AM   #19

also, you could pick up a PCI/IDE cable..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:16 AM   #20

Well, that "dog" lens looks like it will be similar to mine - it's quite sharp. It's low-contrast which can work to your advantage to capture detailsin super-bright conditions, just don't try to take sunsets with it. It's biggest fault is flare, and for your purposes, it will be fine.

Roy - did you ever get that lens? What did it turn out to be?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote