Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 7, 2007, 12:55 PM   #11

And here is a horizantal crop on the other side of the frame

Pentax SMC DA 18-55 @ 18mm 1/180 sec f11 Landscape mode
Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 12:56 PM   #12

Pentax SMC DA 16-45 @ 16mm 1/350 sec f11 Landscape mode

Attached Images

Old Oct 7, 2007, 12:56 PM   #13

Pentax SMC DA 10-17 @ 17mm 1/180 sec f11 Landscape mode

Attached Images

Old Oct 7, 2007, 1:03 PM   #14

So while taking the images and really cropping them, I have come to the following observations.
  1. The 18-55 kit lens is much better than what I believe that people think.[/*]
  2. The 16-45 lens when compared to the 18-55 kit is overpriced for its performance.[/*]
  3. The 10-17 lens at 17 is very rectlinear and as such holds it own very nicely.[/*]
This set of comparisions has a lot of contrast, shadows, areas in direct sun, a fair amount of detail is available along with objects in the distance. A little bit of everything.

I really did not expect the 16-45 to fair a poorly as it did in contrast to the 18-55.

Other eyes might come to a different conclusion......
Old Oct 7, 2007, 1:20 PM   #15

Hi,
After looking at all pics several times. I'll stick my neck out and vote for the 18/55mm kit lens, I'm not seeing anything with these shots that would induce me to buy the DA16/45, at least not in this instance. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 1:54 PM   #16

Interesting collection of pictures. I've been pleased with the kit lens and haven't felt any need to upgrade - your pictures have just re-affirmed my decision. The constant f4 of the 16-45 might be useful for some, but now that they've come out with the 16-50 2.8, I think the 16-45 becomes sort-of an orphan. Those who need a faster lens would go that route, while others like me will continue to use the kit lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 2:06 PM   #17

Funny(or rather - sad) to see how the camera underexposes with the 16-45. I also must say that the difference between 16 and 18 mm is bigger than I thought it would be. Otherwise your test confirms what I have been suspecting. I bought the 16-45 as a kit lens (since I'm a HQ lens snob:roll but haven't been that impressed with it. I mainly use it on the widest end. When I don't need that I use the FA 28 mm or the FA 50 mm instead.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 3:01 PM   #18

I for one am not surprised that the 18-55 gave such a good account of itself, though I still would have expected the 16-45 to be superior. That kit lens is really a nice little lens. The 1mm difference between the kit lens and the fisheye seemed much greater than the 1mm difference between the fisheye and the 16-45 though; I remember someone saying that the 18-55 was really closer to 20mm at the wide end, it seems it is probably true.

I wonder why the 16-45 resulted in a different exposure? I wonder if the results would have been different if the exposures were all the same. I noticed the fish-eye seems the softest but maybe that is expected in a special purpose lens.

Great comparison and roundup I/O, thanks for taking the time to do it and share it!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:50 PM   #19

I reshot the same set this afternoon with the sun off to the right rather than the left, and with out standing in the shadows - this time in direct sun. Thus the shadowed areas on the mountain are sunny and vise versa. One thing that I noticed, that had slipped my mind, was that the 18-55 kit lens started hunting, as opposed to the 16-45 that just focused - first time every time. I don't know why the kit (or my version of the kit), takes to hunting so much. I have never had any problems mounting it.... so who knows.

I also shot the other end - at 45, 50 and 55 across 4 lenses...
Pentax SMC DA 16-45/4.0 AF Wide Angle Telephoto Zoom Lens IMP
Pentax SMC DA 18-55/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens
Pentax SMC DA 50-200/4-5.6 ED Zoom Lens
Pentax SMC M 50 f2
I will post them later - right now Steve is not letting any images be posted so, I'll start another thread at the other end for moderate telephoto. I will say that the 16-45 was not underexposed and used the same settings as the other lenses. The 50mm manual was really soft (as quicksand). I have been staring at the 4 - 50mm shots for quite a while now, and its really close (trying to compensate for one lens at 45 and the other at 55, with the other 2 at 50)
Old Oct 8, 2007, 6:58 PM   #20

Personally, I like the exposure that the 16mm gave, but then again I don't think it's too fair of a comparison since the shutter speed was different for that lens.

I like my kit lens, and don't feel that it hunts at all unless I'm shooting something that moves faster than it can lock focus. I too end up pretty much only using it at the wide end, and stick to my A-50mm for that length.

Otehrwise, I like the comparrison other than the shutter speed difference. I have often wondered if the 16-45 was really worht the extra cash for 2mm. That's not even 1 full step back.:-)
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote