Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:56 AM   #11

Thanks Daniel,

your post gave me hope about my arriving lens.

I just hope to get a sample as good as your one.

The good thing of living in Italy and buying in the US, is that with euro so strong I can always sell back what I don't like and even make a profit of it.
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 6:05 PM   #12

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Daniel, Toronto

I had a freind of my son-in-law (die-hard Canon user) get rid of his canon and buy a Pentax after using my K10D and all it's lens...He was totally blown away with all the different lens it could use...

Dawg
Well my daughter and son in law was doing someshopping. So after a couple of clicks, I bought the best deal I believe so far from B&H for them in a K100D Super (body only) plus a Sigma 18-50mm Macro EX F2.8. In case somehow it does not work out, I can use them instead of something from the dark side. It will be interesting to compare my 24-60mm (at $260 + tax) with their 18-50mm ($400 ish).

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:11 PM   #13

Lando wrote:
Quote:
Thanks¬* Daniel,

your post gave me hope about my arriving lens.

I just hope to get a sample as good as your one.

The good thing of living in Italy and buying in the US, is that with euro so strong I can always sell back what I don't like and even make a profit of it.
Lando,

When you get back the lens and you still have problem , you may test out this way .

There are two issues of Sigma lens fitting certain Canon's dslf. That can be corrected in the debug mode in the chips inside the lens.

Also there is AF alignment problem. To isolate the problem, you should test it out with manual focus to see if it is sharp or not. If it is sharp in manual but off focus in AF, that will confirm it is alignment problem.

I do not know about the quality of Pentax technican in Europe. But if you can tell them the root cause, that will cut down the chance of you running around

Daniel , Toronto
Old Oct 18, 2007, 5:26 AM   #14

Another bunch of comparison shots for both Sigma 24-60mm F2.8 and F50mmF1.7. All these were done at F4 and very useable aperture. .

See if you can see which is which. The answer is in the exif . Easy

I deliberately set the focal length of the zoom at 55mm so it can be easily distinguished from the F50mm

Daniel, Toronto
Old Oct 18, 2007, 4:08 PM   #15
TDN

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Another bunch of comparison shots for both Sigma 24-60mm F2.8 and F50mmF1.7. All these were done at F4 and very useable aperture. .

See if you can see which is which. The answer is in the exif . Easy

Daniel, Toronto
I guess right both times. That sharpness of the Pentax prime is just unmissable

How are you liking this one Daniel? I currently have the option to buy either this one for 250 euros or the 28-70mm f2.8 for 200 euros...and I'm wondering which I should go for...

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 5:14 PM   #16

TDN wrote:
Quote:
I guess right both times. That sharpness of the Pentax prime is just unmissable
This is of course, F / FA50mm are one of the top 50mms . I really doubt if the new DA* zoom can prevail over the primes. Both of them are not the sharpest at F8. But they reach 95% of sharpness by F4 which is a huge deal for any lens. If sharpness is the only consideration.

Now my next question is more tough: which version would you like incl sharpness factor of course.

Quote:
How are you liking this one Daniel? I currently have the option to buy either this one for 250 euros or the 28-70mm f2.8 for 200 euros...and I'm wondering which I should go for...

Tom
Tom,

I like this one. No doubt. It is a capable one for say party, family and less demanding situation. But just for me I have a problem : I do not feel like bringing it out . Why? It is my style. When I go out shooting, I bring 2-3 lens depending on occasion and I have them in my pockets with the my bag (slingshot 200) in my car. K 100D is so small that I can put it plus a lens in my windbreaker jacket (in spring) or winter coat . If longer lens is needed, my other pocket has my A300mmF4 ready for action. This is, I stress, regular jacket, not cameraman jackiet with deep pocket.
The 2nd issue is human habit for a non-zoom person. If I decide to go out for more serious occasion, I pick the best choice which is the prime lens (FA28mm f2.8 & F50mm1,7) . Period. So that is it.
Mind you Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 is another lens completely different from this one.
Sigma has a bit of sample difference problem. See what Lando has got into which is a pain I believe. But that could be just Canon related. Search the Canon forum for its reception. If you can try it out before purchasing, that is the best. I have to say I am lucky with this one. Also I got it because of the 10 yrs Canadian warranty and my proximity to a Sigma centre which is just 10 minutes drive away from me. That may not apply to your case

Daniel , Toronto
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:04 PM   #17

It's a nice zoom, certainly one that holds its own, but not enough compared to the prime. It looks like it will work well as awalk-about lens for when you want quick snaps.

Your comment about the DA* lensesnot matching the primes may be right, but since I don't have any F or FA primes, I couldn't do a test. It might be interesting to compare the DA*50-135 to my M version of the 1.7 and (sharpness only) with the K-mount Tak 135. I already know that color rendition of the 50-135 is far superior to the Tak (which is a low contrast lens) but don't know about sharpness.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 6:07 PM   #18

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
It's a nice zoom, certainly one that holds its own, but not enough compared to the prime.¬* It looks like it will work well as a¬*walk-about lens for when you want quick snaps.¬*

Your comment about the DA* lenses¬*not matching the primes may be right, but since I don't have any F or FA primes, I couldn't do a test.¬* It might be interesting to compare the DA*50-135 to my M version of the 1.7 and (sharpness only) with the K-mount Tak 135.¬* I already know that color rendition of the 50-135 is far superior to the Tak (which is a low contrast lens) but don't know about sharpness.
I can say now its sweet spot seems to be at F5.6. You can hardly say it is sub-prime (new term for the U S huh) unless you go through pixel by pixel with a heavy weights like F/FA50mm F1.4/1/7. I recall and I do not have it now.It is at least comparable to the 50mm F2 version

Pictures all resized with no pp at all at around 50mm

This is at F6.3

Low light performance at F3.2

Low light wide open at F2.8

At F4 indoor

At F5 indoor

Daniel , Toronto