Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:19 PM   #1

Putting together as decent a system as I can on the cheap, and got my reverser ring in the mail yesterday. Put the lens on this morning and within an hour found this "ham" posing for me! He stayed for about 3 hours and I kept coming back to geta couple more shots. Tough to stabilize camera though, as this macro combo requires a very close position (luckily the mantis didn't leave, just looked at me) but I was standing on a rail and hanging on with one hand in order to get up and close enough to him. By the way, extra bonus for me as this is my FAVORITE insect:

Todd
tnaskedov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:01 PM   #2

You did very well - this combination also has a very small DOF, which also makes focusing more difficult. Looks like you'll get lots of good macros with this.

Just be careful of the exposed rear elements.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:56 PM   #3

i have always wanted to try this, but i don't have a reverse ring nor an old 50mm. all i can say is "wow" these look great!

how close did you have to get to get this shot?
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 1:54 AM   #4

I was probably about 5-6 inches. I was really surprised it didn't take off. It was cool to see it turn it's head to check me out though!

Altogether, it's a pretty cheap solution. I paid $15 for the lens on ebay and I think $13 for the ring on B & H Photo. Not sure I'll be taking too many closeups of spiders and wasps, considering I have to get that close, but it should work for quite a few other things...besides, I don't exactly have the $300+ to spend on a real macro lens right now!
Old Oct 13, 2007, 1:56 AM   #5

Thanks Mtn Gal, I'll be careful. At least I don't have to obsess about it since the lens goes so cheaply on ebay. If I had an expensive lens, I'm not sure I'd do it this way...of course, if I had an expensive lens, it might be a macro and then a non-issue altogether!
Old Oct 13, 2007, 9:18 AM   #6

Looks very good, especially for what you paid for the combo! Macros are a lot of fun, enjoy.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 9:59 PM   #7

reversed M50/1.4

i made my ring out of a body cap and adapter ring + epoxy

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:33 PM   #8

is there any benefit to using a f/1.4 compared to a f/2.0 besides the obvious aperture?
Old Oct 14, 2007, 3:40 PM   #9

ishino wrote:
Quote:
is there any benefit to using a f/1.4 compared to a f/2.0 besides the obvious aperture?
absolutely NOT.. i really like the green saturation of the 1st one. kewl
it's what i have. if this is what you are going to use the 50/2 for just this then why pay 3-4x more for a 1.4 ???

roy

ishino. next weekend is the Ft.Worth airshow. you ought to drop in. hehe
it's free as long as you don't lock your car keys up with the motor running..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 8:57 AM   #10

good advice roy! i have a canon 50mm f/2that i'm thinking i can reverse mount and try this with. that spider with his 4 eyes kinda creeps me out!

thanks for the invite to head on south, but this upcoming weekend is the big gun show in tulsa. have to feed the other addiction also. muskogee has one week after next so i am going to try and hit that, but i don't think it is free.was it you thatasked about going out to amarillo or somewhere thereabout and doing a shootthis pastwinter?