Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:33 PM   #1

Well I found a Pentax F* 300mm f/4.5, in like new, mint condition. Seems to be perfect. Asking price is $1350... I know it is worth it, but would you pay that much or go with something different?
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2007, 6:40 PM   #2

ishino wrote:
Quote:
Well I found a Pentax F* 300mm f/4.5, in like new, mint condition. Seems to be perfect. Asking price is $1350... I know it is worth it, but would you pay that much or go with something different?
According to how much that much money means to you I guess. Too much right now for me as the bills are more important and the wife nearly killed me for the Viv 105 macro that cost about 1/6 as much!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:29 PM   #3

As an amateur who doesn't absolutely need the lens immediately, I'd pay $700. $1350 seems like price gauging to me. The average price for that lens on the pentax forum reviews is $600. The Nikon/Canon equivalent sell for around $1100 new with warantee. They both get excellent reviews and are 1/2 a stop faster and have internal focus motors. The Canon even has Image Stabilization. It's just too bad neither will work on my K10D! I'm waiting for the DA* 300mm f/4.

I've learned a lot from everyone who posts on this forum. I love my K10D but the lack of good long telephoto lenses is very frustrating. Everything else is super!

bruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 9:19 PM   #4

ishino wrote:
Quote:
Well I found a Pentax F* 300mm f/4.5, in like new, mint condition.* Seems to be perfect.* Asking price is $1350... I know it is worth it, but would you pay that much or go with something different?
If I am correct the last one was sold at ebay at $1,200 after 5 bids

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=015

I could not afford it and could not wait. I got an A*300F4 instead 18 months ago at around 60-70% of an F or FA model. It is manual.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:30 PM   #5

I wouldn't pay anything.... My wife has made itvery clean thatI have been strictly banned from owning anything with alittle starin the title, lol. At least until I start getting a little more income from one of my hobbiles.

Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:34 PM   #6

I'd probably go $1000 - 1100 for that lensbecause it's the one with the tripod mount and supposed to be optically the same as the FA* - in other words, one of the classic lenses (I did bid $1,000 for an FA last summer and lost out to someone who bought it for $1100). I wouldn't go up to $1350 for it. I'm perfectly happy with the A*300, and it cost significantly less.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 11:31 PM   #7

thanks everyone for your input. as it turns out, b&h got the sigma 50-500 back in stock, so i kinda had to jump on it since that was part of my lba wish list. something tells me the bigma is going to work really well for my zoo photos. now i just need to find the sigma ex 100-300 apo dg and i'll be set.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 5:15 PM   #8

ishino wrote:
Quote:
thanks everyone for your input. as it turns out, b&h got the sigma 50-500 back in stock, so i kinda had to jump on it since that was part of my lba wish list. something tells me the bigma is going to work really well for my zoo photos. now i just need to find the sigma ex 100-300 apo dg and i'll be set.
why would you want the 100-300 when you already have the range covered. i'd go for a nice prime myself after getting the bigma.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 9:58 AM   #9

well one of these closed at $1,416 on the bay last night. guess i won't be picking up a f* 300 anytime soon.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 6:11 AM   #10

Hi all,
I Know that primes are supposed to be much better than their similar zooms, ie 300 to a 100-300, but how does a new lens such as a Sigma 100-300 Ex f4 stack up against one of your older classic lenses lika a *300 f4.5???
Sorry in this offends anyones feelings, comparing the two, But I for one have a lot better chance of getting the Sigma zoom than a Pentax prime and keeping both kidneys.
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote