Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:59 PM   #1

I got my adapter from B&H today, put it on, tried it out, then went to remove it. Nightmare battle later it finally pops off, the little leaf spring pops, and the itty bitty screw that held it on falls IN the camera.

Got it out and spent 15 minutes with a little screw driver and bad eyesight fitting it back together. Tried again to mount/unmount it after reading some threads here and it gets stuck again. I get it loose, itty bitty spring pops off again and itty bitty screw falls to the floor. Haven't found it yet (I really need to get those glasses)

Anyway.. even with the tool I'm struggling with this thing (obviously), what is the trick? Am I trying to depress the spring outwards (away from the center of the camera) or inward? If I can't find that pin head of a screw is my adapter useless? One thread I read indicated that the lens would fall off without it. I find it difficult that it holds anything on as it's falling off itself at every turn.

The thing has me so confounded I haven't even downloaded my test shots yet

edited: Maybe I had a bad 'spring', tried it without and everything is peachy, the adapter actually comes right off with the lens. Maybe I'll try someones advice here and just make it a permanent marriage (converting my bargain 19 dollar lens into a sorta bargain 40 dollar lens after shipping ) It doesn't seem like it's going to fall off too easily as it takes some 'oomph' to get it off at first.

CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2007, 2:28 AM   #2
TDN

What you could do is leave the spring off and drill a small hole into the M42 lenses you're trying to mount, on the place the little pin on the camera is supposed to be. That way it'll mount just like a K-mount lens...

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 3:31 AM   #3

Hi CC,
Sorry to hear you're having trouble wth the adaptor, with the spring popping off like that sounds as if you got a faulty unit, you may want to consider sending it back for exchange. There are alternatives you may want to consider ... Check out this thread, there's a lot of info here ...
Jack.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...68&forum_id=94
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:03 AM   #4

Actually the popping off spring worked for the better. I like it this way One thing I note is that I can put the adapter on and it rotates quite a way, then I screw in the lens. I remove the lens and the adapter comes off with it, stays nice and snug. BUT.. when I put the lens/adapter assembly back on it only rotates onto the camera about a quarter turn at most. Seems stable enough and it focuses fine, I'm just wondering what is preventing it from fastening on as 'far' as the adapter alone.

Is this normal?

I wanted to test the lens and post some pics this morning, but although the fall colors are gorgeous it hit 74 degrees by 9am this morning and it's a constant drizzle. Curse me for not getting the weather resistant k10D!

Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:23 AM   #5

Hi CC,
when you fit the lens with the adaptor already on the lens it will mount just like any other bayonet lens does, hence very lttle movement to engage, mounting the screwmount to the adaptor involves several turns to wind it up tight. Only danger of not using the spring is that the lens doesn't lock to the camera body, so there's always the danger that the lens could fall off. I have one M42 lens where the aperture detent spring is quite tight so aperture setting is a series of stiff clicks, this can be sufficient to start the lens unscrewing, since I usually just go for a finger tight fit, I don't like whanging a lens up so tight that I have trouble removing it. If you read the thread linked in my last post, there are suggestions of drilling the lens flange so that the normal K mount bayonet lock engages and locks to the body as normal. Hope this helps ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:44 AM   #6

Thanks for all the insight, guys. I think I'll use it as is since the ap dial on this lens is so smooth it's scary. Some things SHOULD be apparent but I panic a lot when it comes to my investment :roll:

So far (pics of a stuffed animal in the middle of the night wide open) this lens really is impressing me, just gotta go to +2 EV to get the right exposure. A 135mm turns into quite a telephoto with the crop factor so I'm more than psyched.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 9:19 PM   #7

I also had a hard time with that little spring. I can't drill a hole because the base of my lens is tapered. So here's my solution:

I used this setup for some surf pictures today!

bruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 9:39 PM   #8

all i'll say is that when i first got my adapter(kalt) i tried way too hard to mount it and dismount it. it doesn't turn as much as you think. you want to compress the spring towards the inside of the opening. i find that after is goes the range of movementi have to get under it slightly with a fingernailand pluck it out vertically..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:36 AM   #9

I've done this to mine...Don't think I'm trying to coerce you in anyway...This is just how I did it. I had the same problem when I got my first one....Lucky for me the screw fell to the outside instead of in the camera. I decided to get an adapter for each lens, then use a little Loc-tite thread locker to afix it semi-permanently. I did this and now have a group of K-mount lens instead of screwmount lens. As far as the lens falling off without it being locked on...It ain't happened yet. I can and will in the near future put a shallow slot in the place needed to allow the camera's locking pin to lock it down...But I've shot thousands of photos and not once has a lens tryed to come off...Thus I keep putting the impending surgery off.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 4:37 PM   #10

I don't think I ever used on of those adapters that I didn't have a hard time removing it. I have used the ones with the removal tool and the ones without it, including the Pentax brand one. All of them have been a pain in the butt to remove.

A couple of time I even had to remove the mounting flange from the camera to remove the adapter. I never dared to try one on one of the cameras with the plastic lens mount.

The only time one of those adapters proved successful was when I removed the retaining spring and used it to convert a Pentax screw mount microscope adapter for a K mount body.
ptg701 is offline   Reply With Quote