Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 20, 2007, 3:13 PM   #11

While I don't know of any other Quartz Hill, it's kind-of an out of the way spot (rather like Frazier) and wanted to make sure.

Out of curiosity, are there any pawn shops around there that might carry old lenses? I never think about going east so don't know what's available in your area (and it's not that far away).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 3:23 PM   #12

"Out of curiosity, are there any pawn shops around there that might carry old lenses?"

Well, I feel silly now. Never thought to look for any pawn shops around town, sure there must be one or two in town. Will have to check that out and post back here as to what I find out. We do have one camera shop that sells old equipment, will check them out today also and see what they carry in used lenses too.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 5:51 PM   #13

The beauty of Pentax cameras is that you can occasionally find good deals in dusty corners, as long as you don't mind manual lenses (I'm still using a couple of lenses with the K10 that were originally purchased new in 1980). I'm not sure you have as much latitude with the D80. And I'm allways interested in new places to check out.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 6:28 PM   #14

Just checked out thelocal camera shop here in Lancaster, CA, they only had one Pentax lens 100mm manual focus asking $175.00. The lens did look to be in mint condition. Don't know if that a good deal or not, but I[m sure they are open to offers as it doesn't look like the shop is going to last much longer. They only had one DSLR in the shop with a few lenses, lots of camera bags, just not much else.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:40 PM   #15

That one could be interesting if it were the Pentax 100mm 2.8 macro lens, but I already have the Vivitar Series One 105mm macro lens that I love.

Thanks for checking it out for me, and I hope you don't blow away. I heard that they closed the 14 again yesterday afternoon because of the winds/sand.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 1:23 PM   #16

It wasa Pentax but F4.0 (as the wife remembers) but not sure if itwasa macro lens. F4.0 seemed a bit slow for a 100mm fix lens, at least to me.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 3:27 PM   #17

It's either a macro lens or a bellows macro lens. If it's the bellows macro lens it's useless without the bellows.

If it's the M 100 mm macro f4 or the A 100 mm macro f4 it's very good. I have the M version and I'm very happy with it. And when I'm happy with a lens, it means it's a relly good one. It has a magnification of only 1:2, but there is no image degradation if you use it with extension tubes or bellows.They ususally go for around 150 USD on ebay, the A version a little more. So 175 bucks sound a little to much to me. On the other hand, they are not offered that often.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 3:30 PM   #18

Sounds like it was a 100mm macro lens - there were a couple of versions of the lens, including a dental version, a good, sharp lens, and apparently well thought of. I was going to say that it was overpriced at $175, but noticed that one recently sold on ebay at $199 and had 14 bids, another sold for $150 with 12 bids, another at $137. So he's not all that far off of the current going price, especially if he is negotiable. Oh well, I'm not much for buying and selling and I'm very happy with the Viv. But thanks for the information, perhaps if there's a lurker in the area, he can take advantage of it.