Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 19, 2007, 9:56 PM   #1

Does anyone here have any opinons (silly question) on the Pentax 16-45mm lense compared to the Pentax kit lens. As there is a $400.00 dollar difference between the two lenses?

We took a trip to Samy's in LA today to look at all the cameras.

Thanks,

Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:14 PM   #2

craig,
do i know you from some place?? lol
the 16-45 is an excellent lens. however, the kit lens is a real winner for the price. it's better than any other kit lens offered. if i thought i needed better i'd have the 16-45 but??? the kit works well for me.. WA is the only slot in my kit that needs support. 16mm is just not going to be it. i'm leaning towards the 14mm prime or the 12-24 zoom. i'd say get the kit lens and learn some basic PP and you will be happy..

stay focused,
roy

oh?? a 400mm is also missing but i believe the tammy 300/2.8 will do with a 1.4x TC. that gives me a solid 420/4..........
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:39 PM   #3

The lens has a good reputation with some, others don't like it. I don't have it because I'm still perfectly happy with the kit lens (don't do a lot of wide angle photography, though I've been thinking of the 12-24 might be nice). It used to be a good alternative if you wanted a faster lens, but since Pentax has come out with the DA*16-50 f2.8, it seems to be a bit too much in-between. From what I've seen, the 16-45 isn't a big enough gain to justify it's higher price. On the other hand, there could be a number of them on the used lens market right now as some people sell theirs off to buy the DA* lens - there might be some reasonable deals out there.

Is Samys worth the trip? I keep seeing people referring to it and I wonder if I should wander over there some day.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:51 PM   #4

only prob with the 16-50 is there's about a $700 price difference. please correct me if i'm wrong as i haven't checked the real street price.

craig, H, has just backed up what most and i said. the pentax kit lens is a good starting point for future comparisons. i don't think i've ever heard a really bad word about it.

H, you need to be careful around this guy.. he's nothing but an old mudbug looking for acceptance.. sheesh, damn coona$$es$ will do it to you everytime..

roy

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:58 PM   #5

Thanks all for the information,

With all the talk here on the different forums about kits lenes not being worth much I wasn't sure about the Pentax kit lenes. It would be nice to save over $440.00, of course that is if the wife ever makes up her mind.:?

Thanks again,

Craig

P.S.

Roy, Samy's was asking $545.00 for the lenes.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:29 AM   #6

I just have to ask - is your Quartz Hill the one over by Palmdale?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 9:30 AM   #7

Havea DS and a K10d. Lenses in order of performance (IMHO)

DA 40 2.8, DA 50-200, kit lens, & lastly the 16-45. That was an expensive disappointment-I was expecting a big upgrade from the kit lens-not going to happen-very soft-maybe that's why you see them on Ebay. Save the $400 and put it towards a better lens.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 10:06 AM   #8

Hi, Scroll down the posting list a bit to "On the Wide End", - http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

... which is somewhat of a comparison of the 16-45, the 18-55 and the 10-17 (FE). I also did 2 other comparisons at the 50 focal length that I have been too busy (lazy) to post. [bottom line - same results as the 16,17 and 18]

The bottom line - and I hate to say it, the 18-55 is a really fine lens, in shaprness and IQ - who would of thought. I really do like its color, and for some reason (my copy) compared to the kit lens, meters ever so slightly different - again, I have no idea why. After chipping in for the 16-45 will I go for the 16-50? No - I'am saving up for the 12-24 (hoping not to be disappointed). I had thoughts of possibly selling the 16-45 but that has not happened yet - I just can't decide, so I'am for the time being keeping it.

... also, let me echo - the 16-45 is a good lens (I am very happy with the images), however the kit (which was $16 more than the body only offer) lens, when compared on price, leaves little room to compell someone to go out and actually purchase the 16-45 - save the money and put it towards another lens.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:04 PM   #9

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I just have to ask - is your Quartz Hill the one over by Palmdale?
:GYou mean to say there is more than one Quartz Hill? Yes, I'm right on the border of Palmdale and Lancaster, maybe that means I really live in Palmcaster instead. We have been veiwing your picture for a while now (enjiy them all too)noting where they were taken.This way we have some ideas of places to stop and shoot nexttime the family heads out on vacation, as we never drive straight to where we are going.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:32 PM   #10

DMJJR and Interested_observer,

Thanks for the reviews on the lenes, your (everybody's) opinions and espeaicaly the photos posted have been a great help. The information given has helped narrow down the number of cameras the wife has been looking at for quite a while. Think it is down to the Pentax K10D orNikon D80. We were looking at the Sony A700 until she tried to hold it and found it way to big for her to handle, we won't touch Canon (too many problem with them in the pass) and just don't like the 4/3 size sensors cameras. So we are getting list down with the help of everybody on Steve's forums and a lot (looking is fun) looking around, after all Christmas is coming soon.

Thanks,

Craig