Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 21, 2007, 9:29 AM   #1

I'm looking into both of these lenses, but haven't seen much information about either of them, except for reviews on Amazon. Does anyone have experience with either of these lenses? I will be pairing with a K100D. I'm new to SLR photography, and have heard that both brands produce very nice lenses, but I do like the fact that Tamron offers a 6 year warranty.

Thanks for any help everybody!
rdb4198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:52 AM   #2

I don't have either of these lenses. It seems like both the Tamron and the Sigma APO version take great pictures (search around here for examples, both lenses are represented by people around here). Sigma makes two lenses at this focal length - the APO version is definitely worth the extra price.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:24 PM   #3

Whomever owns the Tamron 70-300 Di LD 4.0-5.6 1:2 macro or Sigma 70-300 APO has given each their kudos to both. The Tamron has the added feature of 1:2 Macro.

Either one you choose you will enjoy the results.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 2:23 PM   #4

I've got the Sigma non-APO and I love it. It also does 1:2 Macro, and the price is right. I have a number of example pictures with it although I have a hard time shrinking them to post. I have a portfolio section on my website (www.picsbydan.com) if you really want to see some. In the Portrait section, all of the ones of the couple together, and most of the Macro section ones are with that lens.

Hope that helps.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:30 AM   #5

Nice pictures in your link. The pictures of the building in Assinboine Park in Winnipeg (my home town) are excellent.
fisheye4 wrote:
Quote:

I've got the Sigma non-APO and I love it. It also does 1:2 Macro, and the price is right. I have a number of example pictures with it although I have a hard time shrinking them to post. I have a portfolio section on my website (http://www.picsbydan.com) if you really want to see some. In the Portrait section, all of the ones of the couple together, and most of the Macro section ones are with that lens.

Hope that helps.

lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:49 AM   #6
TC3

rdb4198 wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking into both of these lenses, but haven't seen much information about either of them, except for reviews on Amazon. Does anyone have experience with either of these lenses? I will be pairing with a K100D. I'm new to SLR photography, and have heard that both brands produce very nice lenses, but I do like the fact that Tamron offers a 6 year warranty.

Thanks for any help everybody!
I have the Tamron and a search here and at dpreview will come up with a load of posts including some from me. I use the Tamron with a 1.4xtc to make 420mm and it gives decent results of which i had posted some over at dpreview
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:22 AM   #7

Thanks lesmore, that is where I grew up to. I took that last winter while visiting my parents at Christmas, along with many many more snow pictures! They had over a foot of snow the day before we were supposed to leave.... I'm sure you remember.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:45 PM   #8

Well I guess my girlfriend has been sneaking around this site reading these posts of mine, and she ended up ordering me the Tamron 70-300! I'm very excited to get it. Thanks for the input everyone. I'll be sure to post some pictures from it when it arrives.
rdb4198 is offline   Reply With Quote