Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:49 PM   #1

A series of images with the Sears 135 f/2.8 M42. It was AFTER the trip to the woods that I figured out how to get the K100D to recognize the lens and allow me to set the focal length for the SR to kick in, so most of the images are hand held with no SR.

Wide open the dreaded 'purple fringing' is pretty bad in bright situations, but once it's stopped down to 5.6 or so it pretty much is completely undetectible. This is a MASSIVE positive for me as my current lenses, the kit 18-55 and the j70-300 really don't do well with the fringing unless they're stopped down to about f/8 or 11 (and it's still there then, too)

Relying on manual focus makes me wish my prescription glasses were ready (just got reading glasses, will those help looking through the viewfinder?) I've got my diopter slid out as far as it goes, but I'm still not sure if some missed shots are the lens being soft or my poor eyesight.

Each image was shot in RAW, edited slightly in PLab, saved as a 16 bit tiff, and imported into PShop. The first image is as it comes out of photolab, the second with my usual PShop recipe.

Mojo the cat in the sunlight..

My son playing in a stream..

Wife and Son on a small bridge.. (I could have adjusted the white balance in PLab but didn't notice it at first..

My neighbor's wonderful sattelite dish (the new line based ATT TV service is coming, he's gonna be annoyed At f2.8 and f4 the white at the top of his chimney were purple explosions..

And of course one more of my kid because you never have enough of your kids.. This one I didn't need to touch at all in PShop, maybe some cropping before I put it on my website..

Overall I'm very happy with the lens. I missed a lot of good shots of the mallards at the park because I hadn't figured out the SR procedure yet (it wasn't activating since I didn't have one of the lens commands set right) But now that's working and lets face facts. 15 bucks for a lens, 15 for an adapter, and a body that gives you instant SR. How can the other manufacturers be short sighted enough to NOT do this. I love my Pentax
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:47 PM   #2

Impressive shots - looks like that lens is a keeper all right.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:07 PM   #3

Hi,

Nice images !

Its images looks identicalto my old Pentax M 135 3.5 (derived from my late father). Low contrast but capture more details. I enhance it w PS and got images identical modern (digital era) lens with more clear details. Don't know this caracter lens is typical potrait lens of that era?

Regards,

RTogog
rtogog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:07 PM   #4

Hi,

Nice images !

Its images looks identicalto my old Pentax M 135 3.5 (derived from my late father). Low contrast but capture more details. I enhance it w PS and got images identical modern (digital era) lens with more clear details. Don't know this caracter lens is typical potrait lens of that era?

Regards,

RTogog
rtogog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:54 PM   #5

I like them...A good inexpensive lens that will do a good job for years...I know I've had one since 1978!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:06 AM   #6

Nothing wrong with the El cheapo lens CC, glad you got a good one. All good shots. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:05 AM   #7

they look great for a cheap lens
i bought myself a screwmount 135 f3.5 lens on the weekend
for a whole $10au
i hope it works as good as yours does
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:09 AM   #8

Gumnut, did you try out the 3.5 yet? Any test shots for us to see?

I'm really enjoying the lens, screw mount or not. I found using manual mode and hitting the AE-L button gives me a quick 'shu-shoo' sound effect (I guess the camera is trying to close down the aperature blades? I hope it's ok) and gives me a prefect exposure meter reading. Using the TV mode underexposes by a stop and a half.

CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 7:10 AM   #9

as requested CyberCoyote
some shots with my $10au 135 screwmount lens

it was really the wrong lens for the event
i was standing half a carpark away to take the shots
which allowed to many people to walk in front of me
for $10 i am happy lol
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 7:22 AM   #10

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
as requested CyberCoyote
some shots with my $10au 135 screwmount lens

it was really the wrong lens for the event
i was standing half a carpark away to take the shots
which allowed to many people to walk in front of me
for $10 i am happy lol
I'd be happy too at that price and those results Gumnut, there's a lot to be said for the old glass, you may work a little harder to get the pic you want, but the end results speak for themselves. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote