Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:16 AM   #1

These were taken approx 1 minute apart. Someone tell me why I spent $400 for this lens? Please
Attached Images

DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2

Is the 16-45 faster?

The kit lens is quite impressive, I was gonna go high dollar until Dawg and others posted some images from it and blew my mind. Of the two (which is which?) one is less exposed than the other, but at that resolution they seem very comprable.
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:44 AM   #3

Shot "A" is the 16-45 mounted on my K10D

Shot "B" is the Kit lens

No adjustments made for either shot-taken about 1 minute apart.

Looks like the 16-45 is headed toward Ebay.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:29 AM   #4

I'm vey happy with the Kit lens except for the times it over exposes. That is my fault not using it right and nothing to do with the lens...For the money it is hard to beat unless one like it is a good bit faster. It does hunt and unless I put it in A-priority and adjust the aperture myself it will tend to over expose some and not get the focus lock. When this happens I put it in continuous focus or just flip to manual focus and take the shot. I come from the all manual world of the K1000 and going to manual anything is like going home. Looks like you have yours well under control. I will be upgrading mine to a faster lens but I've yet to see a reason to spend that much money on the upgrade! One will come along I'm sure but I haven't seen one yet in that range that I'd spend the money difference on!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:52 PM   #5
TDN

Some people just want that extra 2mm on the wide end, as well as more sharpness and less barrel/pincushion distortion.

For me, it wouldn't be worth it as I rarely shoot very wide. But I can imagine how some people would prefer that lens over the 18-55mm

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:23 PM   #6
TC3

The kit lens is very good if you know how to use it. After a lot of thought i have decided to not upgrade it. I have been wanting a wide fast zoom but the only one i really want is the Tamron 17-50 2.8 which is not in Pentax mount!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 11:43 PM   #7

I picked up the 16-45 late last year just for that reason - the extra 2mm on the wide end, and more sharpness and less barrel/pincushion distortion and loosing the viginetting of the kit lens, primarly to stitch wide panoramas. Overall, I like the lens a lot.

My kit lens, tends to hunt a lot, with the 16-45 which just focuses dead on, each and every time. I have gone out 4 times now in very different lighting conditions and landscape settings, with the kit edging out the 16-45 each time in sharpness, etc. (which is disappointing).

Still on the fence as to what I am going to actually wind up doing.

I will say that, prior to buying it, the concenus was that it was much sharper than the kit, out on the various boards. So, it appears that the only way to actually know is to compare yourself - but that is after the purchase, - unfortunately.....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote