Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 28, 2007, 9:05 PM   #11

Let's take another look at the silliness here. There's currently a J75-300 NEW! with a starting bid request of $179.99 buy it now 197 and change. Given you can buy it new at any online retailer for 129 dollars.. I just don't get it..
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:38 PM   #12

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Let's take another look at the silliness here. There's currently a J75-300 NEW! with a starting bid request of $179.99 buy it now 197 and change. Given you can buy it new at any online retailer for 129 dollars.. I just don't get it..
They are hoping you don't know that and are too stupid or lazy to look it up.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 6:42 PM   #13

No offence to forum members from the U.S., but the exorbitant rate they are being sold (in ebay) for FA50mm1.4 or FAj 75-300 is reasonable ones for non - U S buyers particularly from Canada, Europe or Australia.

Our price (Canada) is typically 20-40% more than the advertised rate (with rebate kicked in) as available in the U. S. Just look at the cost of Pentax lens at Henrys.com. I understand the European and Aus. rate are even worse.

I do agree that the value as quoted in the m42 adapter is out of this world. But the other rates above are within the ballpark. Not out of it

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 6:52 PM   #14

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
Quickie example as in Henrys.com

Fa50mm 1.4 Can $319.99 x 1.05 Exch rate to US$ x1.14 (Tax)

FAj 75-300mm Can $249.99 x 1.05 Exch rate to US$ x1.14 (Tax)

I would believe B&H charges around $24-30 for shipping to Canada plus brokerage fee.

That tells you some of the reality of the market place. The rate that you quote above are just within the ballpark

Daniel
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:33 PM   #15

Daniel,

Even with a $30 shipping fee you're looking at a small amount (and we pay shipping from them in the states, maybe $10 depending on where you are) The brokerage fees I know nothing of, but they'd need to constitute quite a bit to make up the difference.

Now whether or not a USA lens is warranteed in Canada or vice versa I do not know. I'd assume North America is North America, and with the info you indicated (the lens I saw was actuyally FROM Henry's) it would still be less expensive to order the glass from NY than to get it locally for yourself. The exchange rate is odd to me looking at something from Canada interpreted to US dollars, when you Ebay from there are you presented with a HIGHER rate than what I would see with the conversion (I thought the US Dollar was one of the most worthless pcs of paper in the world lately)

These other deals on Ebay are just that much more attractive for you up there, I suppose.
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:45 PM   #16

CyberCoyote wrote:
Quote:
(the lens I saw was actuyally FROM Henry's) it would still be less expensive to order the glass from NY than to get it locally for yourself. The exchange rate is odd to me looking at something from Canada interpreted to US dollars, when you Ebay from there are you presented with a HIGHER rate than what I would see with the conversion (I thought the US Dollar was one of the most worthless pcs of paper in the world lately)
There is no doubt that B** rate is still best of the world. The exchange rate today happens to be 1.048 in Can$ favor - that kills anything from Canada . If you think we are happy you are wrong. I would be happy if Can$ is down by 20%.
Trust me . You guys down there are really privileged at least when it comes to buying photo equip.

Daniel, Toronto
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:00 PM   #17

Normally when a currency devalues the price on everything (especially imports) goes up. That was one of the reasons I finally ordered the K10d (or my wife did for my anniversary present); I was afraid the price would start going up as the dollar sinks against the yen.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:30 AM   #18

thats ok cause the other day on ebay had aused pentax smpc-fa 50mm f/1.4 lens with 2 bids at $235.00 and a brand new one at BH photo is $199.00
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:30 AM   #19

thats ok cause the other day on ebay had aused pentax smpc-fa 50mm f/1.4 lens with 2 bids at $235.00 and a brand new one at BH photo is $199.00
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 5:08 AM   #20

Here's another sale that didn't take off, and I'm not surprised at all. ... Jack.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=013
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote