Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Oct 30, 2007, 8:13 PM   #1

I recently replaced my FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 lens with a much better built F series 100-300mm f4.5-5.6. The F lens has internal zooming so it does not extend when the focal length is changed, and it has a much higher quality construction with a metal lens mount (the lightweight FA has a plastic mount). My last series of shots was taken with this F lens and I am very pleased with the results. Here is a picture of my current lenses, the F 100-300mm is at the far right with a metal lens hood from S&W.

My question is simple, is anyone else here using this lens and if so how do you rate its perfoemance? I know the Sigma APO 75-300mm is a popular lens with members here, how does this Pentax compare?

NOTE: This is not the FA 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 power zoom model but it appears to have the same optics as that lens so if you have one of these you can let me know how it performs optically at least.

BTW all of the images here http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80 were shot with the F 100-300mm, as well as this moon shot (my best so far):

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2007, 7:17 PM   #2

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I recently replaced my FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 lens with a much better built F series 100-300mm f4.5-5.6.* The F lens has internal zooming so it does not extend when the focal length is changed,* and it has a much higher quality construction with a metal lens mount (the lightweight FA has a plastic mount).* My last series of shots was taken with this F lens and I am very pleased with the results.* Here is a picture of my current lenses,* the F 100-300mm is at the far right with a metal lens hood from S&W.

My question is simple,* is anyone else here using this lens and if so how do you rate its perfoemance?* I know the Sigma APO 75-300mm is a popular lens with members here,* how does this Pentax compare?

NOTE:* This is not the FA 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 power zoom model but it appears to have the same optics as that lens so if you have one of these you can let me know how it performs optically at least.

BTW all of the images here http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...63&forum_id=80* were shot with the F 100-300mm, as well as this moon shot (my best so far):

Ira
I guess not too many people have either one of the version. And comparing zoom is a tricky business. You have demonstrated that it is a very capable performer. For an infinity moon shot above , this certainly is a keeper .

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 11:29 PM   #3

Your moon shot is better than any I've managed - I'd say that the F is a very nice lens. I don't have either one, so I can't compare, but if I were looking fora 300 zoom, I'd be really tempted.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 9:20 AM   #4

I've not been able to expose a moon shot that well with the J70-300, but there's the technique factor involved and you're definitely my superior in that department so it's difficult to use as a comparison..
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote