Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 1, 2007, 9:37 AM   #1
TDN

See some samples with this lens here in the "post your photos" section:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=5

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2007, 3:56 PM   #2

Hi Tom,

I like 'em. My favorite is "Spiderman". Did you purposely position his head at the exact center of the web, or was that just good fortune? I'm guessing that it was deliberate.
I also like the B&W conversions -- nice and contrasty. What did you use for these? -- so many that I see seem too flat.

So I take it you like this lens?. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 10:05 PM   #3

Very nice (I always love your street shots). My favorite is the dog and also think you did an excellent job with your b&w conversions.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 1:17 PM   #4
TDN

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Tom,

I like 'em. My favorite is "Spiderman". Did you purposely position his head at the exact center of the web, or was that just good fortune? I'm guessing that it was deliberate.
I also like the B&W conversions -- nice and contrasty. What did you use for these? -- so many that I see seem too flat.

So I take it you like this lens?. . .

Scott
Yes it was my intention, otherwise it would have just been a man waiting for the bus...

I used photoshop CS3 for the conversions. I really like all the options it provides.

The lens is ok. I used it at a concert yesterday, and it was acceptable...

It's a little bulky and doesn't have the charm (or sharpness) of a manual lens, but it does the job...

Thanks for the comments

Tom

Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:52 PM   #5

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Yes it was my intention, otherwise it would have just been a man waiting for the bus...
I used photoshop CS3 for the conversions. I really like all the options it provides.
The lens is ok. I used it at a concert yesterday, and it was acceptable...
Just satisfactory. That is the word. Same with my 24-60mm. Its F2.8 is workable.
Quote:
It's a little bulky and doesn't have the charm (or sharpness) of a manual lens, but it does the job...
Tom
You should have referred to the charm and sharpness of a prime lens. If it is a manual zoom , it will be the same. It is the same argument prime vs zoom.

I would say your zoom (and mine) is just slightly bulky and does not give you the pleasant surprise like what the prime lens have always been able to spring.
I will be posting more test shots in the test thread . Nah I will just use it for family occasion where its convenience really shines . I cannot imagine I am using this lens for street shots. For that I would rather have either F50mm or FA28mm where smallish prime lens excel.

Hey Tom can you also test this to see if it is true. I tested the same shot from one end to the other end. For me it is 24mm and 60mm. The softness (5mm) at both ends is very noticeable until F.7.1 or further stepped down.
For yours the softness should appear at 28-34mm and 64-70mm. That applies to all zooms anyway.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 8:44 AM   #6
TDN

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
You should have referred to the charm and sharpness of a prime lens. If it is a manual zoom , it will be the same. It is the same argument prime vs zoom.

I would say your zoom (and mine) is just slightly bulky and does not give you the pleasant surprise like what the prime lens have always been able to spring.
Well, I have a manual zoom that does perform excellent wide open, the Tamron SP 60-300mm f3.8-5.4, and I was kinda hoping that this EX(pensive) lens would do too.:roll:

Anyhow, I still need to get to know this lens, and might take better shots eventually.

I will decide whether to keep it or not after a few months. I got it at a price where I would not lose anything by reselling it.

Tom
Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:05 AM   #7

Very interesting shots Tom, you do a good job spotting interesting subjects in your street photography. How does the lens do capturing colors? Was this part of your disappointment (and therefore the B&W conversions)?

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 3:05 PM   #8
TDN

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Very interesting shots Tom, you do a good job spotting interesting subjects in your street photography. How does the lens do capturing colors? Was this part of your disappointment (and therefore the B&W conversions)?

Tim
No I meant to do these in B&W, just havent had the oppurtunity to try some shots in color yet

Tom