Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 1, 2007, 3:21 PM   #1

For those with really, really looooooong LBA, I just saw this on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130168242568

I've never even heard of this lens before. :shock:

As before, I have no ties to this item; just happened to see it.
PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2007, 4:47 PM   #2

Hi Jon,

I'll have to pass, it's not an "A" lens, and it has to be metered stopped down. . .:-)

What a monster! At @30" and 11.5 lbs it should have hernia insurance included in the price, or at least a back brace or rolling crane so you'd have a chance at getting it mounted on your tripod. It's supposed to be a pretty good lens tho. . . The last one recorded by J Colwell in SPLOSdb went for $3,100 USD from B&H in '03 (New/Mint)

Actually, Pentax made two lenses that were longer, an A*1200 f8 that was a little shorter at 27", but weighed 18.8 lbs (and was reportedly a stellar performer -- but then it should be for $11,000 USD), and the K&M versions of the 2000 f13.5 reflex, both @ 21", about 17.5 lbs and cost @ $8,000 each (and I imagine still had donut bokeh).

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:00 AM   #3

think i'll just stick with the 500/4.5... that gives me a 1000/9 with a 2xTC.. a little slower but it works..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 9:22 PM   #4

Wow that thing IS huge! It would make a great going to the zoo lens....you wouldn't have to get out of car...just roll down the passenger window and shoot from the parking lot! :-)
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 3:46 AM   #5

Hmmm.... I have a 1000mm f8.3 lens. It didnt cost near that much and came with an equatorial mount and a few eyepieces plus tripod, about US$300. It works quite well too!

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6025/imgp3668jp1.jpg

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9913/imgp2942wi0.jpg

(Skywatcher 120mm f1000mm on EQ3-2 mount and tripod though when I use it with my camera it is usually on a Alt/Az mount I made for it.)

P.S. I am sure this Pentax lens is a beautiful thing just to look at or hold!

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 5:29 AM   #6

Great shots John.

Would really love to see more of your setup, as the pics shown are really sharp.

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:11 PM   #7

What a cute little stove pipe!! For me the big lens are not that big or that heavy...but a 1000mm lens and for that much money just leaves my LBA on the outside looking in...Still would like a Sigma 50-500 one day but not in that big a hurry right now...Need some fast wide angle lens first.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:37 PM   #8

Dal, this is the telescope on the tripod and the alt/az mount I made for it, K1000 camera mounted for the photo!

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7501/1000mmxm9.jpg

Here is a paint can from 15 metres (about 48 feet)

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/5...intcan2bh8.jpg

Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:30 PM   #9

That is an awesome bit of kit...

Is it just a standard telescope with the tube mount to camera?

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 2:42 PM   #10

Yes Dal this is a standard telescope with a Pentax 'K' type adapter.

The adapter is a standard fitting for telescopes and I think it might be the same as a Tamron adapter. There is no glass in the path other than the obective cell.

I made one tiny modification in that I cut a small baffle to go at the front of the camera. It is a simple piece of thin metal (cut from a can) with a rectangular hole in it and painted black. The purpose of this is to stop any light entering the camera body except that which is going to fall directly on the sensor.

There are many cheap telescopes available now (from China of course) and some not so cheap ones with American and other brand names that seem to have come from the same factory.:roll: Here is a 500mm f5 already on an alt/az mount, http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/s...amp;class2=105

So far I have not been able to ascertain exactly what makes a 'camera lens' better than a telescopethat would warrant the huge price difference, about 10 times comparing my telescope with the advertised Pentax lens. (But I would still love the Pentax lens :G). One obvious difference is the camera lens has controllable aperture, this is not impossible with a telescope but one methodwould involve making various sized masks to fit over the front of the lens (lens caps with holes in). One such mask does come with some telescopes for viewing bright objects such as the moon.

John