Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 14, 2007, 1:12 AM   #1

Ok so here is the equipment I have.

Super Takumar 1:1.8/55
SMC Takumar 1:2.8/105
SMC Takumar 1:4/200 x2
Kilfitt München Pan-Tele-Kilar 1:4 300
Takumar 1:4.5/500
Vemar Wide-Auto 1:2.8 f=28mm

I was curious if any of it has digital applications or not due to the M42 mount any info would be greatly appreciated.
Currently I am using a restored Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic F but, I would like to upgrade to digital so long as i don't need new lenses.
Axl1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:26 AM   #2

Axl1826 wrote:
Quote:
Ok so here is the equipment I have.

Super Takumar 1:1.8/55
SMC Takumar 1:2.8/105
SMC Takumar 1:4/200 x2
Kilfitt München Pan-Tele-Kilar 1:4 300
Takumar 1:4.5/500
Vemar Wide-Auto 1:2.8 f=28mm

I was curious if any of it has digital applications or not due to the M42 mount any info would be greatly appreciated.
Currently I am using a restored Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic F but, I would like to upgrade to digital so long as i don't need new lenses.
Hi and welcome,
The bayonet fit lenses are no problem you'll need to focus manually is all, if you have SMC-A lenses you can control the aperture and shutter speed from the camera, if they're M lenses all is manual. The M42s are fine with the adapter that allows infinity focus, if the adapter has a flange that covers the camera electrical contacts inf focus wont be possible. M42s also wont stop down automatically, you need to focus wide open, then set the required aperture, this can become a problem where you have low DOF as in macro work, it's not easy to see, and keep the focus once you stop down due to the reduction in light. I have 2 or 3 M42s I use fairly regularly including a Vivitar 90/2.8 macro lens. Hope this answers your question. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 8:47 AM   #3

axl,
you've got some nice lenses there. ditto what jack said, but when using the M42 lenses you will usually not use it above f8. that's the sweet spot for most lenses. you would use the lens stopped down and the cam set to Av (aperture priority). in this mode the cam sets the correct speed for the amount of light hitting the sensor. all you have to do is manually focus. the VF is not too bad at f8 but after that it starts getting pretty dim.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 2:54 PM   #4
TDN

Nonsense, it's a pile of junk.

...but I'll be happy to take it off your hands for 10$ :lol:

Seriously, you've got a fine collection there!

Check this page for some info on how to use them. (M42 is at the bottom)

With the exception of wide-angle (55mm is really almost a tele on digital, considering the 1.5x cropfactor), you've already got yourself a very nice all-round kit.

My advice would be to get a K100D (super) or K10D with the 18-55mm kit lens (for 50$ you can't pass that one up, and it'll fill the wide-angle gap in your line-up)
and I'm sure you'd enjoy it very much.

Oh, did I mention all your lenses become image stabilized? Just look at the price of a Canon 500mm IS, and know that with the exception of autofocus, you'll have the same for 0$

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 3:50 PM   #5

Well thanks for all the info I really appreciat it, yea I was really happy when I got all this stuff, I was able to pick up the whole lot for under $200; based on some of the prices i've seen I got a fricken steal.
Axl1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 7:16 PM   #6

Yes you did and if you were any sort of a decent bloke you would share it among your mates!

Put me down for just one of those 200 f4s!

Seriously though you did well and I enjoy my collection of old lenses including M42 on my Pentax DSLR, may you too.:-D

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:28 AM   #7

All keepers as far as I can see. Love my super takumar 200 f/4. I don't really notice that much difference using the screw mount lens as I attach my screw mount to K-mount adapters semi- permenantly and have K-mount lens instead. I just pick the lens I wish to use and plug it into the camera. Also I use my camera in manual mode most of the time as that is how I feel most comfortable.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote