Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:59 AM   #11

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Well, looks like I have a lot of reading to do. Thanks for all the input everyone. It is greatly appreciated. I will read through it over the next few days and probably be back with more questions. I know I had immediate comments/questions as I was reading the replies, but I stayed up so late last night looking around that I really need to get some sleep. I'll be back.

Oh, and just to set the record straight, my comment on my living in Australia was a joke. I really do live in NH. I was only saying that kidding that if you were trying to find me because of all my stupid questions, you'd be looking in the wrong hemisphere. Didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Thank you for the comments on my photos. That is also appreciated. I sometimes wonder if my family is just telling me they like my stuff so I'll leave them alone. :-) I haven't posted that many here on the Pentax board. I mostly post on the BiWeekly Challenge that I know some of you also participate in. It really helps me to challenge myself to new things.

Patty
Looks like Trader Jim may have some more Vivitar 105mm 1:1 macro lens for sale..NEW...They sure won't last long though!
WELL !!!!
I checked and couldn't find one there Sorry I brought it up.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:47 AM   #12

Dawg, Where does this Trader Jim sell these? On ebay? That's what had originally gotten me looking at the lenses was seeing another post a few days ago.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:37 PM   #13

Hi, Patty;

I'm glad you cleared up your location - I was going to say I had no idea that Australia looked so much like the place I grew up.:-)

Macro lenses, and long telephotos have in common the need for stable base for shooting from, so I'm happy to hear you have a good tripod. Another thing they have in common is a shallow DOF (relatively). Close up shots of flowers and small objects tend to need small apertures to keep enough of the subject in focus. 1:1 macros are even worse, which means longer shutter speeds, or lots of light, and it can be difficult to get light on the subject when the lens is so close. As you can see, there are quite a few technical details to learn for this, but it's fun, and the results can be rewarding.

Right now, I am looking for something in the 500- 600 mm area for some outdoor shots. Maybe Santa will read this and find something for me.:lol:

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 2:12 PM   #14

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Dawg,¬* Where does this Trader Jim sell these?¬* On ebay?¬* That's what had originally gotten me looking at the lenses was seeing another post a few days ago.

Patty
There you go Patty, hope you're lucky. ... Jack

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Trader...846913QQsofpZ0
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 7:39 PM   #15

Maybe there is one there but I can't find it!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:58 PM   #16

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Looks like Trader Jim may have some more Vivitar 105mm 1:1 macro lens for sale..NEW...They sure won't last long though!
¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* ¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬* WELL¬* !!!!
I checked and couldn't find one there Sorry I brought it up.
Gee an F100mm F2.8 macro went for $250 after 15 bids just now. The shock is that it is sold as-is and AF is off completely. Even though AF is not that relevant for macro, still it is advantage as a mid tele. Price is really mindbogging. It never make sense anyway

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:37 PM   #17

patty,
this has gotten to be one of the longest vociferous threads i've seen. since i don't type i wouldn't know where to begin but we all began at the same point.. your's right now!! all i can say is READ and then READ it again.. when i started back in the '70s i think i read every book offered at the library and waited a week or more for my contact sheets to come in until i was able to do my own.

i'm also a sailor(forever) and it and the cam are very similar in the fact that both have their own language that you have to learn and be able to understand. let's gybe, but lets also be confident the the people handling the sheets and boom vang know what they are doing. the preventer also needs to be changed.. i've heard my mainsail slides sound like a zipper as they disappeard, not a pleasent memory and due to the fact that the preventer had been ignored

about lenses?? if you see something early enough just ask here about it. i'm sure someone here can give a review of it

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote