Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:28 PM   #1

Hi Everyone ,
I am planning to buy a dslr. I have a few old lenses from my
dad's Manual Pentax camera. I was wondering if anyone would know if they are compatible with either Pentax K100D or Pentax K100D super ?

The details are :

1) SMC PENTAX
1:3.5 / 135
Asahi Optical Co. , Japan

2) Dia 49MM
Vivitar 28mm 1:2.8
MC close focus
wide angle
No 28302627

If they are not compatible with the dslr's , i can then consider other brands of dslr like Nikon D40 or Canon Rebel 350D.

I have always used point and shoot cams so have no clue about lenses.

Please suggest.
Thanks !!
kunjel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:36 PM   #2

Both lenses will work with the K100 (or any of the Pentax dSLR cameras, for that matter). Just remember that the lenses won't suddenly become auto focus/auto exposure lenses. The first one is definitely a manual lens - you have to focus it manually, set the aperture on the lens, then push a button on the camera for it to meter and set the shutter speed. I don't know about the Vivitar, though I suspect that it is at least manual focus. On the other hand, the 135mm 3.5 lens has a good reputation from the couple of people who have posted reviews on Stan's Pentax Photography's web site (it dates back to the 1970's by the way). I suspect the Vivitar would be nice, but it depends on who made it (can't remember the web site that would tell you who produced a lens based on the serial number).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:55 PM   #3

Go here to find out more about who made your lens. http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

I'll tell you that I have an older Vivitar 28mm screw mount lens that works quite well with my K10D. Very sharp and good color rendition. The first two numbers of the Vivitar serial number will tell you who made it. Your's starts with the numbers 28...This means it was made by Komine Co. limited in Japan and they were some of the finest lens makers during the period your lens was made. Should be a high quality lens and do well for you.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:22 PM   #4
TDN

Here's an explaination about what your lenses will be able to do, and how you can use them on a DSLR: http://pentaxdigital.tdn9.be/?page_id=4

Hopefully it can be helpful

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:08 PM   #5

botttom line is if it'll go on a pentax , it'll work somehow.. you just need to know how..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:23 PM   #6

The K100 requires lenes with an AE setting on the aperture ring. I learned this the hard way.
zackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:24 PM   #7

Sorry, Zacattac, but that should be due to user error. What happened?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:36 PM   #8

From what I have experienced with the K10D and the same should be said for any of the Pentax DSLR's, any lens whether it has the AE or not will work...I just mount one and use manual settings...No problem what so ever.
Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote