Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Nov 17, 2007, 6:42 PM   #1

OK, first let's get this out of the way. I screwed up by not doing better research, but I had never heard of a px-k mount, and I bought one, assuming the k designation was sufficient for it to fit on my K10d. I was very wrong.

The lens is a Vivitar Series 1 35-85mm f2.8, so I would like to be able to use it, even though I might be able to return.

The problem is the rather large ridge you'll see in the photo below. The rest of the mount APPEARS to be standard K-style. It would seem possible to use a precision hacksaw to remove the extra protrusion and shape that down to the same size as on a standard K-mount.

My question is whether others are familiar with this mount. Is the rest of the mount the same as the regular K? Is the modification I suggest reasonable? Are there other alternatives? Or, if I'm not able to return it, have I bought a nice paperweight?

Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2007, 7:08 PM   #2

I have seen others do this. IIRC, it is a plastic part that can be trimmed off with a razor knife/box cutter.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 7:34 PM   #3

Yes, this is the infamous large flange. I modified one of these Vivitars by removing it from the lens and using a file. The metal is very soft and it was very quick and easy. Others have used a fine saw or a dremel tool. A spot of matt black paint (or even a black pen) and it looks like new.

If it's like mine, the flange is attached by three very small Philips-head screws. I had to buy a small set of screwdrivers to get one small enough, but this set has proved useful for a number of other lens projects.

I'd give it a shot.

Mike
Stringmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 7:34 PM   #4

Or you can remove the lens mount and use a hack saw or a belt sander to remove it. Very similar to a Richo K-mount. Look here to see what we are talking about.

http://www.robertstech.com/flange.htm

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:11 PM   #5

Good link - the one in the photo is exactly like the one I modded.

You shouldn't need to remove the entire mount, though. The troublesome black flange itself is attached to the lens mount by three or four tiny screws. I think the flange is aluminum.

Mike
Stringmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:50 PM   #6

Guys, thanks for the help, and for the link, dawg. If I can find my precision screwdrivers, I'm going to go ahead and adapt it. Otherwise, I'll have to pick up a new set tomorrow and let my wife yell at me for losing my toys, lol. I think this has the potential to be a very nice lens.

Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:01 PM   #7

Gentleman, I'm proud to report the operation was a success, and the patient has survived. Thanks for your advice. I used a Roto-zip-type rotary tool (a Ryobi cordless, to be exact) with a grinder wheel and it ground down quickly. It mounted just fine on the camera and appears to be functioning beautifully. I didn't have anything handy to shoot except this clock. The lighting wasn't great, but I was pleased with the sharpness. Can't wait to try it outside tomorrow.

Attached Images

Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:31 AM   #8

Just glad it worked.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote